To trim or not to trim

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MUShand

Senior Cook
I trimmed a brisket for the first time this weekend with poor results! When trimming should I take the w tire fat cap off?

If I am not trimming would I cut the cap down

What Buzz said.

I have always trimmed all of the hard fat off, but now after several dozens of briskets, I trim more than most people. I try not to trim off any meat, but as close as I trim the fat, sometimes I get just a little meat in places. Lots of times, you can't tell the top from the bottom when I am finished, just by looking at the fat. My smoker and the way I cook have a lot to do with all of this, so try both and see what works best for you. ;)

BOB

One of the best brisket cooks I know trims them up till they are plumb nekked. I usually go for trimming up everything except 1/4" of the fat cap. Believe the residual fat helps keep the slices from drying out quite so quick.

bigwheel said:
One of the best brisket cooks I know trims them up till they are plumb nekked. I usually go for trimming up everything except 1/4" of the fat cap. Believe the residual fat helps keep the slices from drying out quite so quick.
Especially if you're not serving it very soon.

BOB

Great point Bob. I agree entirely. I am a firm believer in that little touch of fat can make or break the deal on a contest situation where it gonna lay in the box for an hour or three till they can track down somebody drunk and hungry enough to want to eat some. Now we may have a little problemo here Jouston..not sure a lack of rub on the fat side gonna contribute to the dryness dilemma. What temps you cooking at? What kinda pit you got? Thanks. Thinking you might possibly be trying to warm it to death. That make it dry each time..unless you have a special pit which is prone to maintain a real high moisture content.

I trim absolutely nothing but the silver skin and that’s only so the rub will penetrate. There is no reason in my opinion to trim anything. The fat is flavor and moisture. Once it’s done I slice off the point and re-season and back in the smoker for an hour to make burnt ends. The fat will fall off or scrape right off once it's done cooking. It is 10 times easier to get the fat off once it's cooked.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom