To Trim or not to trim?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shawn White

Sous Chef
I trim the external fat off of butts. I like the bark and moisture doesn't seem to be a problem.

Another reason I do it is to get those 'grey growth things' out of my food.

Ya know I've found one in the fat cap of nearly every pork butt I've done so far.

What are they? Tumors? Cysts?

Shawn White said:
I trim the external fat off of butts. I like the bark and moisture doesn't seem to be a problem.

Ya know I've found one in the fat cap of nearly every pork butt I've done so far.

Glands.

Jack W. said:
[quote="Shawn White":1w5abgek]I trim the external fat off of butts. I like the bark and moisture doesn't seem to be a problem.

Glands.[/quote:1w5abgek] I guess that would explain why I usually find it in about the same place ... it's SUPPOSED to be there. :rds:

Glands sounds better than cysts or tumors ... but I still don't want to eat it. :grin:

IMHO Bark is where it's at. Now don't get me wrong, I appreciate good BBQ. There is plenty of fat in a shoulder. I'll leave the fat cap on the one that is over the brisket. Makes for good basting juice. Otherwise off it comes for barkage. Glands in barbeque is like an unfortunate part of the hotdog, or the mudvein in shrimp. I'm sure it dosen't hurt, but I'll take it out if I can.

Good Q!

Jack

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom