To Flip or Not...Ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cleglue

Head Chef
When I smoke ribs I slather (with mustard or worcestershire sauce) and sprinkle rub on them. I leave them bone side down (towards the coals) the entire time. I have read where some of you flip the ribs during the smoking process...Does this help and how?

Thanks.

I realize if you use a rib holder that this question isn't a concern.

I'm no expert. sometimes I do sometimes I don't. when I do I only do towards the very end of the cook to "sticky" them up a bit.

I flip sometimes.

I also take a close look at how the bones are doing when I do though.

It all depends.

Au contraire her mon chere' you have stumbled over a highly valuable nugget on truth here. Concave side always up whilst they cooking. One flip allowed on the glaze cycle. Let me guess. You from Texas right?

bigwheel

amdphreak said:
Hah, no I am not from Texas.... I would guess someone from there would know the answer?

I'm from where everyones GOOD spuds come from.... :P

You are from Prince Edward Island????

We aint got caves in Lousiana, No con-caves either. 8) I done em both ways I don't see no differnce.

I've tried flipping twice now. Once with BBs and once with spares.
I haven't tried them bone side up through the whole cook. A few hrs. for the rub/bark to set then flipped. One thing I noticed is they get done alot quicker. I don't think I would do this at a comp. (Sorry Uncle BigWheel ;) )

I always flip when it gets closer to finishing, sauce them, then flip then sauce and flip to keep them moist and evenly cooked. I do not think it matters, but this is how I do it.

Ok I know the answer to that one. You from Utah. Best plate of store bought soft fried tates I ever got come from Utah. They weighed about 5 lbs and cost a quarter. This back in the good old days of course. Sure they has went up since then. Prob .50 cents nowadays.

bigwheel

amdphreak said:
Hah, no I am not from Texas.... I would guess someone from there would know the answer?

I'm from where everyones GOOD spuds come from.... :P

I very rarely filp my ribs. Ill flip when I put the glaze on my ribs and that is about it. I also keep them bone side down for the whole cook.

Chris

Great point Sausageman...that door fanning makes the meat tough. Had an old Moss Back comp bbq cook reveal that tidbit many moons ago. I take it as fact. Thanks for sharing and reminding some of us.

bigwheel

Oh and mine have long rods that slide in and hold the doors and fire box shut and locked unless it's me.

No peeky!
:twisted:

Whut if some fun loving drunk walks by and kicks your intakes shut? Need to get some security on that angle too. I can see somebody is going to need to hire a bbq security consultant around these parts. :LOL:

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom