Third Time Is The Charm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbquzz

Master Chef
Brisket has really gotten the best of me the first two time I tried, it was almost inedible. So I have been gun shy, but with football over, the Oscars past I had a free weekend and thought I would get back on the horse. I have had good success with tips and recipes form Amazing Ribs, so my plan was to follow Meatheads instructions and I did. Not perfect, but I am close and this is very edible, I've been eating the leftover pieces, parts after slicing. It passed the pull test and as you can see had a nice smoke ring. I've been watching what I eat trying to get ready for my daughters Jamaican wedding, I have to get into my Speedo, so I made portion packs and FoodSavered them for portion controlled eating .... hopefully. The burnt ends are ready to come off the WSM right now and I hope to share those so they don't go right to my gut.

It was fun and actually was done in about 14 hours which really surprised me. I did do the Texas Crunch at 160°. The last time I did one it seems to me it went 20+ hours, so this was much easier.

Here it is Friday afternoon injected with beef broth, rubbed and wrapped and in the fridge for 8 hours.

Getting ready to go on the WSM.

On the WSM about 9 PM Friday night.

I pulled it at 190° and the Thermapen was sliding through with little resistance and separated the point, diced it up and put it in a pan with some BBQ sauce.

Sliced and ready to FoodSaver.

Burnt ends -- WOW!

Thanks for looking.

Great looking brisket. Funny how things fall in place after you do a few. I tanked a few when I first started them. They sure can be pesky from time to time I always try to get a left hand brisket if I can. Ask Big Wheel about them, he knows the deal on them to a T !

Pigs

Man, I don't think you could do any better than that! And love me some burnt ends!

The point and flat look as if there were sliced by a surgeon. :shock:
Nice job Buzz! 8)

I have yet to try Brisket, no whole brisket in super market. But that look awsome, and those burnt ends making my mouth water

Buzz looks great. But between you and me why would you slave over a crappy hunk of meat for tens of hours when you could cook a tri tip in 45 minutes. Or a steak for 8 minutes. I don't touch that horrific cut of meat unless I'm doing a competition.

Tri Tip said:
Buzz looks great. But between you and me why would you slave over a crappy hunk of meat for tens of hours when you could cook a tri tip in 45 minutes. Or a steak for 8 minutes. I don't touch that horrific cut of meat unless I'm doing a competition.
My bride and I said the same thing yesterday as we were finishing off the burnt ends. As good as they were Tri Tip is our favorite and far easier to do. The brisket was just a challenge, I wanted to know I could do a good one after two poor attempts.

I totally understand. Sometimes it's just fun to cook and drink beer all day. Those are some of the best burnt ends I think I've ever seen!!!!

Bulseye! <spelling> Nice job........ Good lookin' burnt ends too. I've never done em' and need to learn how to for comps. Looks killer!

Great job buzz! I haven't done a brisket in awhile but after seeing your pics, i've gotta get one on soon. As for the speedo goes, please spare us the pics please :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom