Third Time Chuck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
I decided to thaw a couple of chucks out for an overnighter. This will be my third try at pullable chuck roast. They were still a little frozen when I got home so I put them in FoodSaver bags with some wooster sauce and sucked them down to pressure in some flavor. They are in the sink soaking it up.

They go on tonight.

Cliff H. said:
I decided to thaw a couple of chucks out for an overnighter. This will be my third try at pullable chuck roast. They were still a little frozen when I got home so I put them in FoodSaver bags with some wooster sauce and sucked them down to pressure in some flavor. They are in the sink soaking it up.

They go on tonight.

Third times a charm Cliff!!! Once they get to 200* try the fork test, don't take them off till they twist with ease!!

I plan to go about three hours per lb. What seems to be a small chuck roast is an all day event.

I smoked the last two between 230-250. Foiled at 165 and pulled them off at 200. This time they ain't coming off till they are tender.

Cliff,

I just took a very small 2 pound 1 ounce roast out of the freezer. I think I'll try smoking one tomorrow. This will be my first chuck roast.

Good luck with yours.

cleglue said:
Cliff,

I just took a very small 2 pound 1 ounce roast out of the freezer. I think I'll try smoking one tomorrow. This will be my first chuck roast.

Good luck with yours.

Good luck back at you. ;)

Mine are some honkers from Sam's. They are about four lbs each. I expect them to be on the wsm for 12-16 hours.

I usually go about 1:15-1:30/lbs depends on the piece of meat..may even go a bit longer if its really marbled. the sams here got in whole chuck rolls, gonna get one when I get back from vegas.....good eatin.

Larry Wolfe said:
Cliff out of curiosity, why do you have the chucks raised on a pan??

I had already used the pan during defrosting so I figured I would do the whole thing in the pan and wrap it all with foil.

This whole cook may have turned into a cluster. I usually have the smoker loaded down so temps are easier to mantain. This time there was only 8llbs of meat to begin with and I had a temp spike about 3am that went above 300.

The meat was at 165 at that time so it was time to wrap in foil. That would have worked out good had I had another roll of foil. :oops:

I got the roast foiled at 195. It may be a waste of time. They look pretty dark but I am going to go ahead and finish them and rest them.

They're looking good to me Cliff. I hate when you got to get foil and there is only a 3 in. piece left :x
Good luck on the rest of the cook ;)

Puff said:
They're looking good to me Cliff. I hate when you got to get foil and there is only a 3 in. piece left :x

Puff, I agree, who in their right frickin' mind takes out foil and knowing there isn't enough left to use, puts it back in the cupboard; doesn't throw it away; doesn't leave a note saying "we need more foil." Pi$$es me off! IDIOTS!

[smilie=sorry.gif]

Chucks looking good Cliff.

Bruce B said:
Puff said:

Puff, I agree, who in their right frickin' mind takes out foil and knowing there isn't enough left to use, puts it back in the cupboard; doesn't throw it away; doesn't leave a note saying "we need more foil." Pi$$es me off! IDIOTS!

[smilie=sorry.gif]

The same ones that do it with the toiletpaper.

Not a total loss. The beef was very pullable and had a good flavor. Probably more smokey than I would shoot for on the next one.

It was very good at the center of the roast. I had some waste around the outside edges but they were unfoiled for a long time. I rested them for about four hours.

They both pulled very easy and the meat I saved was very moist.

ps: After I took the meat off I opened all the vents on my wsm just to see what it would do. The temp peaked at around 340 and is now at 230. That is about 17 hours.

oct_97 said:
[quote="Bruce B":2y23lih4]
Puff said:

[smilie=sorry.gif]

The same ones that do it with the toiletpaper.[/quote:2y23lih4]

:shock: Now THAT's funny lol got plenty of them round here !!! :twisted:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom