Well on my last thread about a week ago, I posted I had a surprise for you all. Well more of a surprise for me, and you all get to watch me eat it. HA
Well here is what I did. I have been wanting to make some bacon for a while so I finally did. Here are the steps that I used.
1. I made the cures that I wanted for my bacon. The first one is a Black Pepper Cure. The second is a Sweet, Brown Sugar, and Maple Syrup Cure.
2. Next I got the pork bellies ready by washing them off and drying them.
3. Now I added the cure's to the bacon. I did not have any large freezer bags, so I left them in a couple of casserole dishes for a few hours, until I got some bags.
4. Next was the "The Great Long Wait." I cured these for 8 days, Flipping them once a day.
5. Finally after the 8 longs days in the fridge. Out for the smoke. After I took them out of the refrigerator, I washed them off thoroughly, and got them ready to place on the smoker.
6. This is an hour in.
7. Here is my Brother-In-Law, and fellow smoker checking the temp, before we had to leave to keep helping my buddy move, took 2 days to move my friend should have only been a few hours, but nothing was really packed up. So in one of the trips to the storage unit, we stopped off and checked the temp.
8. 12 short hours later, We Have Bacon!
(sorry the picture is blurry, the camera was focusing on the smoke.)
9. Off the smoker and cooling to get to room temperature before slicing.
10. Ready to Slice.
11. Slice that bacon.......
12. Nothing could be better than a bowl full of bacon, than of course 2 bowls full of bacon.
I had a good experience doing this, and I will be doing this instead of buying bacon, costs less, tastes a whole lot better. I would encourage everyone to try this, that is if you have access to pork bellies.