Test run for comp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Man everything looks great bro' =D>
So what do you think? Sure is alot of work huh?
:D

wittdog said:
Joker I thought with age came patience :grin:
That's right ~ More age, less patience! :grin: :grin: :!: You did good bud!! How did it all taste?

The Joker said:
wittdog said:
Joker I thought with age came patience :grin:
That's right ~ More age, less patience! :grin: :grin: :!: You did good bud!! How did it all taste?
IMO the chicken got done early a little dry, the ribs were cooked well but the rub was a lillte salty, the butts were pretty good and the brisket was a pain to try to plate......maybe Pigs and Val will put in there .02

We had a great time at the wittdogs today, he is right on target on what adjustments he thinks they should make.
Plenty of food, if any one went home hungry it was there own fault. LOVE those ABTs! =P~

Dave,

I wanted to share this statement from Mike Mills that I read.

I think it really sums it up as far as competetion goes.

"The people cooking, judging, and volunteering are from all walks of life. Politicians and businessmen, plumbers and firefighters, rich and poor, young and old cook, eat, and carry on, side by side.

It's all about the food. This group of people is united in one common cause, and that's the pursuit of the world's best barbecue."

Well Jack I learned that with enough alcohol my buddies can solve all the worlds problems :grin: …. No seriously I’m happy that I did this dress rehearsal I learned a lot of things….mostly about presentation….and how much of a pain it is…I learned that you should sort and separate you chicken before you marinade it….I think that given enough room if I plan to smoke chicken I should stager the start times of various batches…that it is hard to pick 6 pieces of meat while under time constraints….there is more but I am one tired Dog and after all these are the dog days of August….I mainly learned that cooking for a comp is much different than cooking for good eats…and that I had a ball while doing this and there was nothing better than a boy, his pit and his dog watching the sun come up thru the haze of hickory smoke……and having that 7:00am beer and thinking that all is right with the world for a change………….and finally any sage advice would be greatly appreciated……Thanks for the kind words Finney and Jack thanks for the help

Hey now!
What about the guy's like Puff, Cliff,& Joker that didn't sleep to see the results of this cook!
Lighting smoke chips by the keyboard just to get the whole feel of it!

.................. 8-[

PS OUCH, OUCH,(Keyboard on fire because of said woodchips :eek: )

wittdog said:
Well Jack I learned that with enough alcohol my buddies can solve all the worlds problems :grin: …. No seriously I’m happy that I did this dress rehearsal I learned a lot of things….mostly about presentation….and how much of a pain it is…I learned that you should sort and separate you chicken before you marinade it….I think that given enough room if I plan to smoke chicken I should stager the start times of various batches…that it is hard to pick 6 pieces of meat while under time constraints….there is more but I am one tired Dog and after all these are the dog days of August….I mainly learned that cooking for a comp is much different than cooking for good eats…and that I had a ball while doing this and there was nothing better than a boy, his pit and his dog watching the sun come up thru the haze of hickory smoke……and having that 7:00am beer and thinking that all is right with the world for a change………….and finally any sage advice would be greatly appreciated……Thanks for the kind words Finney and Jack thanks for the help

Dog, please explain the marinade problem and picking chicken pieces.

Nick Prochilo said:
wittdog said:

Dog, please explain the marinade problem and picking chicken pieces.
Nick, I think he's down for the night and will respond tomorrow but from what I gathered, he meant choosing 6 or 8 of the best pieces of chicken and placing them together or marking them and then choosing the next best pieces and so forth. Doing so prior to marinading them would ease the workload when things started getting busy. Just my thoughts... 8-[

Puff said:
Hey now!
What about the guy's like Puff, Cliff,& Joker that didn't sleep to see the results of this cook!

.................. 8-[

Sorry Puff, Cliff and Joker :)
Nick what Joker said was right on....I was trying to get 6 pieces of chicken that looked good and were the same size and I should have done that before I marinaded them I cooked alot of chicken cuz there was a lot of people here and trying to sort it in the turn in time window wasn't the best move...

wittdog said:
Puff said:
Hey now!

.................. 8-[

Nick what Joker said was right on....I was trying to get 6 pieces of chicken that looked good and were the same size and I should have done that before I marinaded them I cooked alot of chicken cuz there was a lot of people here and trying to sort it in the turn in time window wasn't the best move...

Dog, when I did my chicken, I trimmed 24 pieces (thighs) and had them all pretty much the same size. When I cooked them, I cooked 12 facing up and 12 facing down. As soon as I took them off the cooker, I was able to eliminate 12 pieces. Then it was a pretty quick scan to get the best 6 looking pieces out of the rest.

Nick Prochilo said:
wittdog said:
Puff said:
Hey now!

.................. 8-[

Dog, when I did my chicken, I trimmed 24 pieces (thighs) and had them all pretty much the same size. When I cooked them, I cooked 12 facing up and 12 facing down. As soon as I took them off the cooker, I was able to eliminate 12 pieces. Then it was a pretty quick scan to get the best 6 looking pieces out of the rest.
Did you elininate all the ones facing in a certain direction, or was it still random?

Finney said:
Nick Prochilo said:
wittdog said:
Puff said:
Hey now!

.................. 8-[

Did you elininate all the ones facing in a certain direction, or was it still random?

Eliminated the ones facing down. Didn't look half as good as the ones facing up.

Nick Prochilo said:
Finney said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":ttcct4sh]
wittdog said:
Puff said:
Hey now!

.................. 8-[

Eliminated the ones facing down. Didn't look half as good as the ones facing up.[/quote:ttcct4sh]
Then you really didn't help your situation any over just cooking half the amount. #-o

Finney said:
Nick Prochilo said:
Finney said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":1970rluh]
wittdog said:
Puff said:
Hey now!

.................. 8-[

Eliminated the ones facing down. Didn't look half as good as the ones facing up.
Then you really didn't help your situation any over just cooking half the amount. #-o[/quote:1970rluh]

Next time I will only do 12 pieces and put them all face up.

Back
Top Bottom