Tadays smoke - Summer Sausage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hillbilly1

Sous Chef
img_181870_0_08b6d8ce7672cfede1a52ab09e3ff9ed.jpg

15 pounds a beef summer sausage waiten ta go onta the smoker. Will post more q-view when the smoke be over.

Looks good Maynard. Glad to see you staying busy. Idle hands are the debil's worshop ya know?

bigwheel

Update - outa the smoker

img_181877_0_e57a92a5a7ef28a2f0d026c12b98703d.jpg

Here it be outa the smoker, taste is excellent, thin next batch gonna add in some pork though. Let em cool an inta the icebox, then tammarraw I'll vac pack em.

Nice lookin summer sausage Hillbilly,
Iv'e been a lurker here for a long while & make quite abit of SS if the deer gods smile on me. (This year no smile)

I'm not trying to be a wise guy here, 8) but if ya wanted to keep the wrinkles away just plunge them into a ice water bath right out of the smoker till the internal temp is below 110. Hang at room temp for a couple hours (bloom) till casing is dry.(i use big rubber maid tubs)
It doesn't affect the taste either way!

Thanks for posting your pics! I'm hoping to get a digital camera soon so I can post some of my adventures. :)

evapman said:
Nice lookin summer sausage Hillbilly,
Iv'e been a lurker here for a long while & make quite abit of SS if the deer gods smile on me. (This year no smile)

I'm not trying to be a wise guy here, 8) but if ya wanted to keep the wrinkles away just plunge them into a ice water bath right out of the smoker till the internal temp is below 110. Hang at room temp for a couple hours (bloom) till casing is dry.(i use big rubber maid tubs)
It doesn't affect the taste either way!

Thanks for posting your pics! I'm hoping to get a digital camera soon so I can post some of my adventures. :)

I'll do that next time, an get an earlier start! Way late on the finish, oh well, just gonna eat em!

That does look fanfrickentastic. Summer sausage some cheese n crackers and a LARGE cold beer ought to be on your "to do" list today...after church of course! :shock: :D

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Good stuff there HB. Looks like yall have the same bucket stuffer I have. Care to post the recipe? That do look fine!

Pigs

Thats a 5 pound lem an love it! Got all metal gears an the price was good ta boot. Although I see now the place I bought it only got it in a kit, which got a bunch a stuff ya don't need in it. Gonna get some SS tubes fer it here next month.

Summer Sausage 5 lbs

5 pounds ground beef, with some fat in it
3 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp Dextrose
3 tsp fine ground black pepper
2 tsp ground Mustard
1 tsp cure #1
1 Tbs Marjoram
2 tsp Paprika
2 tsp Mace
1 tsp Garlic powder

Hillbilly said:
Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Good stuff there HB. Looks like yall have the same bucket stuffer I have. Care to post the recipe? That do look fine!

Pigs

Thats a 5 pound lem an love it! Got all metal gears an the price was good ta boot. Although I see now the place I bought it only got it in a kit, which got a bunch a stuff ya don't need in it. Gonna get some SS tubes fer it here next month.

Summer Sausage 5 lbs

5 pounds ground beef, with some fat in it
3 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp Dextrose
3 tsp fine ground black pepper
2 tsp ground Mustard
1 tsp cure #1
1 Tbs Marjoram
2 tsp Paprika
2 tsp Mace
1 tsp Garlic powder
Good stuff. Thanks for posting it.

Pigs

Needs mo salt :shock: Next time jump it up to about 1 1/2 t. per pound of meat. 1 t. per pound minimum if your feeding salt sensitive senor citizens or something like that.

bigwheel

We gotta watch that salt real carefull round here. Momma got minears disease er however ya spell it. She gets fluid build up in her ears an it ruptures the drum. Happens to much an she will go deaf.

So we just cut way back on it.

Ok can certainly live with the salt restraints due to circumstances. Warden got about the same condition. They put her in an artificial chochlea (sic) and had tubes implanted a few years back. Her troubles was supposedly cuzed by untreated ear infections as a child. Her step daddy did not believe in kids going to the doctor. Anyway..she is deaf as a door nail. I didn't know to blame the salt..kick kick. Thanks for the medical advice. I cut her off of that stuff and maybe she can hear me mo betta when I yell for another beer:)

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Anyway..she is deaf as a door nail. I didn't know to blame the salt..kick kick. Thanks for the medical advice. I cut her off of that stuff and maybe she can hear me mo betta when I yell for another beer:)

bigwheel

or she might buy a salt lick. :shock: :shock: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Well we got regular comedians on here today huh? Fact is if cutting her off the salt don't work and she goes plumb deaf..I just put her on a timer. One beer each 15 mins max..and prob get her to twice check personally during that time frame in case the can went empty early..cat knocked it over etc. Simple huh? :roll:

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom