Sundays Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
Just trimmed my 11.9lb brisket, coated with worchestershire sauce and generously rubbed it down with Wolfe Rub. Gonna put it on around 3am tomorrow morning. Here's a few pic's to hold us over until tomorrow.

I'm thinking about doing this next weekend, so this is great for me. I've only done two (not counting the corned beef brisket..that's another story).
Brisket in the Carolina's is virtually unheard of, so I've never tasted the real deal.

Anyway, mine came out like pot roast, and while it wasn't bad, I couldn't see what all the fuss is about. Then I found out a properly cooked brisket tastes like steak!

So I'm ready to try again, now armed with a couple of years more knowledge.

So tell me if I annoy you, but I've got a bunch of questions.

First, is that a flat or a point? What's a packer? Victor? Vector?

Looking good Larry! I'm doing those chicken skewers tomorrow for dinner along with some pork chops. Got the rub today and I'm gonna use some on the pork chops tomorrow. Thanks

Captain Morgan said:
I'm thinking about doing this next weekend, so this is great for me. I've only done two (not counting the corned beef brisket..that's another story).
Brisket in the Carolina's is virtually unheard of, so I've never tasted the real deal.

Anyway, mine came out like pot roast, and while it wasn't bad, I couldn't see what all the fuss is about. Then I found out a properly cooked brisket tastes like steak!

Cappy,
It's a whole brisket, aka, packer = point and flat. I don't buy the flats very often, cause they are overly trimmed around here. When you say it came out like a "pot roast" my first thought is you foiled either too early or too long, or both. The last brisket I did was the first one I've ever foiled and was very happy with the results. However it only cooked in the foil for about an hour and a half. Any longer than that (IMO) the meat will start to braise and your finished product will be "pot roast". I am far from a brisket expert but I'll try to answer any questions you may have as best I can from my experiences!.

I got the brisket on the cooker at 3:45am. It's 4:30am right now, pit temps 218*, meat temps at 48*.

Woodman said:
It's called a packer cause you've really got to "pack" it in there! :!:

You gotta point Woody as far as us WSMer's are concerned. I just checked it, it's already shrunk t fit!!

Captain Morgan said:
rock on Larry! Did you get any sleep between then and now?

Cappy I planned to go back to sleep but haven't. I'll be a Zombie later today. I've been fighting a high temp so far this morning. I did my normal process which usually works perfect. But this morning for some reason the pit want's to stay at 260* dome temp, and I've got all of the bottom vents closed. I started off with 10 lit briquettes, left the vents open until the pit got to 200*, then closed them all down 75%. I do this every cook and it works, EXCEPT TODAY!!

Just peaked at the ET-73, temps are slowly going down 252* now.

Here's what the brisket looks like about 4 hours into the cook. Pit temps at 223*, meats at 153*.

Nice looking brisket Larry. I like it sliced thin, a little finishing sauce, a couple of sour pickles and a slice of vidalia. Wrap it up so the bun steams a little and get to it. Glass of sweet tea and a piece of pie for desert. When's lunch?

Good Q!

Jack

Jack W. said:
Nice looking brisket Larry. I like it sliced thin, a little finishing sauce, a couple of sour pickles and a slice of vidalia. Wrap it up so the bun steams a little and get to it. Glass of sweet tea and a piece of pie for desert. When's lunch?

Good Q!

Jack

Jack bring the pickles and head on up!! You should be here by the time it's done!! You're more than welcome, while supplies last! :D

Captain Morgan said:

I'm hoping to cook at Tryon in June. Henry from Fire House Cooking Team, they were across from you at Smoke on the Beach, asked me if I could cook his cow pie. We are working it out with our employers now. Wanna come get a lesson? Help is always needed. In fact we are looking for someone to cook the chicken. Ought to be fun. Over 100 teams and all of the big hitters are there. No better way to learn than to do it.

Good Q!

Jack

I'm gonna grill some bass later this afternoon. Too d#@* hot to cook, it's already 92* and it's only 10am. I'll be doing 4 briskets for Memorial Day. Gonna use some Wolfe Rub on one(if I get it in time), TexasRub on one, PigPowder on one, and Grub Rub on one. I'll let the masses decide and comment. Also doing ribs or chickens. Gonna be a hot one.

Finished pics. I ran out of time and did not separate the flat from the point and sliced away. I was very disappointed with the lack of smoke ring. The flavor was great and very tender. I used the Wolfe Rub and was very skeptical that I would have an overly sweet brisket, but I just wanted to try it. I was happy with the flavor and the texture from the rub. It was not sweet at all IMO.

Now about the beans. I tried my own version of beans cooked in the smoker and can guarnatee it will be the last time. I don't care for the smokiness in the beans at all. I used one very small piece of wood and it overpowered the beans.

Anyways, Here's the pic's.

Hey Larry, Minus a big smoke ring, that brisket looked GREAT! I'm gonna do one for my son and his friends the second weekend he's home! Great pics, thanks for posting.

Back
Top Bottom