Sunday's Cook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allie

Sous Chef
Sunday we smoked a picnic shoulder, meatloaf (not Griff loaf, my own concoction), chicken breasts, and pork chops. This time things went a lot better and I think it all turned out very well! Please excuse the pics as we are using a junk camera right now until we can get the one we want.

Picnic Shoulder
img_65318_0_26901fc701a60c21f25ea004181d9596.jpg

img_65318_1_c402b7342541c1763fb9e638e6ce3769.jpg

img_65318_2_7ee063e2ce878cb4e61ea14103b0c985.jpg

The meatloaf was awesome! There was not a bit left after dinner Sunday evening! The kids said they want it smoked from now on, no meatloaf in the oven. LOL

allie said:
The meatloaf was awesome! There was not a bit left after dinner Sunday evening! The kids said they want it smoked from now on, no meatloaf in the oven. LOL
That's why we make two at a time, one for supper, and one for sandwiches the next day. :D Great looking chow.

I learned that the hard way! Yes, I do need to make extras! LOL Basically what happened is Les bought the picnic and then after getting home decided he wanted to put more meat on. I had enough ground chuck to put together the meatloaf and also had the chicken breasts and pork chops on hand. That came close to filling up the pit. Now I don't really have to do much cooking this week other than sides!

Thanks guys! We are quite proud of this cook! It went so much better than last time and we didn't stay up all night to do it!

We used the recipe for The Renowned Mr. Brown in the Smoke and Spice cookbook. The rubs were used on the picnic, chicken, and pork. We used the sop on all of it including the meatloaf.

Southern Succor Rub
1/4 cup ground black pepper
1/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup turbinado sugar (used table sugar instead)
2 tbsp. salt
2 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. cayenne

Southern Sop
remaining rub
2 cups cider vinegar
1 cup water
3 tbsp ground black pepper
2 tbsp salt
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp cayenne

Mop once per hour.

On the meatloaf, I just mixed up finely minced onions and banana peppers (all I had on hand), ground chuck, 2 eggs, and breadcrumbs. Then we put it on about 3 pm with temps between 250 and 300. About 5:30 or so, I mixed up ketchup, woos, little yellow mustard, maple syrup, brown sugar, and a bit of rub. We poured it over the top and let it cook till around 6 pm just to sort of caramelize the sauce.

john pen said:
Looks good..I've gotta try the meatloaf thing...About how long did it take to cook ?
You will love it. Think of it as a Beef Fatty! I cooked mine to about 160* Forgot the times.....couple hours at about 250* I think should do it.

Now BW, I didn't do it alone! I did the rubbing and mixing of the sop and sauces. Les did the fire tending and the actual sopping. We do check it together and it's a great way to spend time together!

I agree with Green Hornet! The meatloaf is so easy and doesn't take long at all!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom