Sundays Cook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KyBlueBBQ

Senior Cook
I picked this turkey up a couple weeks ago on sale. Took the time outta doin stuff to cook it today.

I brined for 12-14 hrs using my standard brine, with a couple changes when mixing - just minor stuff. I'll dig up the recipe shortly.

Heres the pics of the bird rubbed up and I shot a pic @ about 130 on the cheapo Chargrillr

Cheapo CharGriller???
That is a fine piece of cooking equipment.
Bird is looking good ;)

Dont get me wrong, I love it BUT... compared to some of the other units ya'll use on here... its cheap. lol

Bird is off...and resting - I'll grab some pics before and after it gets carved.

Over on another forum, one of the members tried several different ways to achieve flavorful, Bite thru skin. The best way he found was to cover in Mayo. He'd tried sevral other ways.. including Olive Oil, butter, etc etc. Since i dont like Mayo all that much.. and he'd already tried Oil w/o good results.. I Brushed on some thinned out Egg Yoke.. did half the bird in The Yoke half..with just the rub and my mop.. The Side with the Yoke.. Its not Crispy, but it is a nice easy penetration... The flavor..well We'll see.

Pics coming shortly!

Come on dude! I've had one for almost 2 yrs. and love it :D To me it doesn't matter about the cooker. You can make championship Q on a CharGriller or a $20,000 rig. As long as your heart is in it ....that's all that matters ;)
Mayo :shock:
Looking forward to the pics 8)

Never said Id had problems with it...that'd make it a POS and I wouldnt be cooking on it. But Compared too a Primo or a BGE...or... ya see my point?

Okay Here goes..

The Skin Sliced up nice - I think next time I'll do the whole bird (chicken or turkey) in thinned out egg yolk. Brine gave it a good flavor.. You really cant see the smoke ring all that well. Couldnt get the pic to come out. Its a good 3/8" into the meat.. I'm really happy with the results.

It's not the cooker its the cook...you learn alot on a smaller offset about fire control and other things. Bird looked fine..mighty fine

Make sure you Brine the bird... Really helps with the flavor and the moisture..

I can post up my brine, I like it, im sure others have something similar..

KyBlueBBQ said:
Make sure you Brine the bird... Really helps with the flavor and the moisture..

I can post up my brine, I like it, im sure others have something similar..
Why don't you post the brine recipe...I was looking for one the other day and didn't see to many..
Thanks

I forget where I found this recipe.. but it works good IMO In a 5 gal food grade bucket the 2 gallons will just barely cover a 12-14 lb bird.

2 Gallons of Water
1 Cup Kosher Salt
1 Cup Cajun Seasoning
1 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 Cup Red Pepper Flakes (I use hot sauce and more like 1/4 cup)
5 Twigs of Rosemary
1 Cup of Molasses

I brine my birds for about 12 hrs - dont forget the ice to keep the water cold if you cant fit the brine bucket into ur Ice box.

Back
Top Bottom