Sunday spare ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris1237

Sous Chef
Fired up the pit and tossed a few rack of spares on. I made a fresh batch of rub with that sugar in the raw stuff so we will see how that goes. Buring apple and oak in the pit like usual. Ill have more pics latter.

p1010062pk7.jpg

Good looking ribs. You can see the nice pencil bones. Flat paddle bones is a bad sign of an old hawg supposedly. Glad you aint got paddle bones.

bigwheel

Chris we must be mentally connected :shock:
I made a batch of rub using the sugar in the raw stuff, put a rack of ribs on. And I'm using apple and oak also(a little cherry too).
Pretty ironic huh? Good luck with your cook today ;)

Puff said:
I made a batch of rub using the sugar in the raw stuff, put a rack of ribs on. And I'm using apple and oak also(a little cherry too).

That funny Puff man!! I think you are going to like that sugar in the raw stuff. I just pulled off two racks and that were the best ribs I have done. They had a clean taste than when I use brown sugar. I cannot wait to try this stuff on the grill!!

Chris

chris1237 said:
Puff said:

That funny Puff man!! I think you are going to like that sugar in the raw stuff. I just pulled off two racks and that were the best ribs I have done. They had a clean taste than when I use brown sugar. I cannot wait to try this stuff on the grill!!

Chris
:D Where's the pic's man 8)

Puff said:
chris1237 said:
Puff said:

Chris
:D Where's the pic's man 8)

They're coming soon 8)

Puff said:
They look great chris! So what's your opnion on the sugar?

I thought it was great. I plan to keep this in my rub. Before I used a mix of brown sugar and plain white. And some of the time the rub would burn expressly with pulled pork and ribs. Brisket I did not have as much of a problem with it but I think that was because I would do them fat cap down and almost all the times I had butts above them so I think the constaint basteing keep it from doing it but I still happend some. These were the best color on ribs that I ever had. I dont how to decribe taste diference becides cleaner. If I were to enter this in a comp I think my taste and appearance scores would go up. I cannot wait to try it on a butt, brisket and on the grill.
What did you think?

Chris

chris1237 said:
Puff said:

I thought it was great. I plan to keep this in my rub. Before I used a mix of brown sugar and plain white. And some of the time the rub would burn expressly with pulled pork and ribs. Brisket I did not have as much of a problem with it but I think that was because I would do them fat cap down and almost all the times I had butts above them so I think the constaint basteing keep it from doing it but I still happend some. These were the best color on ribs that I ever had. I dont how to decribe taste diference becides cleaner. If I were to enter this in a comp I think my taste and appearance scores would go up. I cannot wait to try it on a butt, brisket and on the grill.
What did you think?

Chris
Honestly, out of the box the sugar had a really great flavor and looked good as far as the look of it in the rub. But I didn't catch the difference in the cook. The rub I used was very sweet already.
I'll bet if you maybe melted it down and added a few other ingredients and made sort of a glaze for the grill it would be awesome. It did have a molasses type flavor to it. This was my first time using it as you. I will try it again. Maybe a different rub would make a difference.

Puff said:
chris1237 said:
Puff said:

What did you think?

Chris
Honestly, out of the box the sugar had a really great flavor and looked good as far as the look of it in the rub. But I didn't catch the difference in the cook. The rub I used was very sweet already.
I'll bet if you maybe melted it down and added a few other ingredients and made sort of a glaze for the grill it would be awesome. It did have a molasses type flavor to it. This was my first time using it as you. I will try it again. Maybe a different rub would make a difference.

I like that idea for using it in a glaze. 8) I bet it would be good with grilled pork or fruit. My guess why you did not notice to much of a difference was because you use foil. So the sugar had less time to burn. (just my guess I dont know :roll: )

Chris

chris1237 said:
Puff said:
chris1237 said:
Puff said:

What did you think?

Chris

I like that idea for using it in a glaze. 8) I bet it would be good with grilled pork or fruit. My guess why you did not notice to much of a difference was because you use foil. So the sugar had less time to burn. (just my guess I dont know :roll: )

Chris
I only foiled for an hour. I think it might have been the sweet rub I was using . Is your rub a bit spicier? I just did'nt notice it :?
The weather really wupped my ass today as far as cooking :shock:

Puff said:
chris1237 said:
Puff said:
chris1237 said:
Puff said:

What did you think?

Chris

Chris
I only foiled for an hour. I think it might have been the sweet rub I was using . Is your rub a bit spicier? I just did'nt notice it :?

My rub is on the spicier side. May be Ill have to sweeten it up a bit and see if it make a difference.
Also what temp do you keep your pit at? I think that would make difference. I like to kept mine today around 235-255. Maybe the tuning plates in my pit could have made a difference too.

Chris

chris1237 said:
Puff said:
chris1237 said:
Puff said:
chris1237 said:
[quote="Puff":2aoqc5t9]They look great chris! So what's your opnion on the sugar?

What did you think?

Chris

Chris

My rub is on the spicier side. May be Ill have to sweeten it up a bit and see if it make a difference.
Also what temp do you keep your pit at? I think that would make difference. I like to kept mine today around 235-255. Maybe the tuning plates in my pit could have made a difference too.

Chris[/quote:2aoqc5t9]
I onlly have a Char Griller :oops:
But she held an even 225 all day long till that damn wind kicked up!
Then it was a battle. I think that the spicier rub might be the ticket.
Like I said the rub I used was way sweet.
Time to experiment with the sugar huh?

Ribs look great Chris....IMHO the turbinado sugar does give a little molases flavor but the real advantage of using it in a rub comes thru on a longer cook like a butt.....it seems to hold up to the longer cook times better than the regular stuff....Just my .02

Back
Top Bottom