Sunday Morning Brisket Cook - Final Pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Master Chef
Put a 9lb brisket flat on the WSM this morning about 7:30.

Slathered in Worsty Sauce yesterday then rubbed with Texas BBQ "Wild" Rub and refrigerated overnight.

Here's a pic of a foiled original WSM pan sitting inside a Brinkmann Charcoal pan. I have done away with all water and sand and use this method for all cooks now. I light about 20 Rancher briquettes and put them on top of a charcoal ring of unlit and I am up to temp within 15 minutes.

For this cook I am using 4 chunks of oak and 2 chunks of Cherry wood. Cooking at a lid emp of 250-260. More pics to follow.

1:00pm UPDATE:

Well it has reached 165º and here it is just prior to my foiling. I may have spoke prematurely regarding not using sand any more. I committed the cardinal sin of allowing my temps to get a little too high and I have been battling high temps all morning 280-290º at the lid. So I dumped some water in the foiled pan and I'm still at war. It will turn out good though. Live and learn and eat your mistakes!!!!

Sorry for the delay guys, daughter was on computer last night and then I had to work, but here's the final pics.

At 3pm the brisket had reached 200º, so I unfoiled it, checked it with the Thermopen and it was actually 205º, so I took it off, wrapped it in another layer of foil and rested it until 4:30pm. It turned out great! It was tender, I was able to slice it in fairly thin cuts and it had really good smoke flavor and the "bark" if you want to call it that had a nice spiciness to it.

I can smell the smoke from here. Let me know what time dinner is!

No sand or water huh?

Well today it's cloudy with on again off again rain showers, suppose to be in the upper 80's don't think it will get there. Cooling down tomorrow to 82º, golf day tomorrow just in time.

Congrats Bruce on a high temp briskit cook. I cook everything at 275 to 300 ribs chicken butts & briskits, I never foil & they come just fine too. Just like yours. Never to old to learn new tricks is what my grandpaw would say

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom