Sunday butts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris1237

Sous Chef
I have two butts going on the smoker today. These are the first ones since new holland. I pumped them up good last night with my injection and then rubbed them down. I am doing high heat for the first few hours of the cook and then tailing it off towards the the end.

Here are a few pics

Chris

Looks like this was a butt cooking weekend....Whats the idea between high heat at the beginning and trailing it off at the end?

wittdog said:
Looks like this was a butt cooking weekend....Whats the idea between high heat at the beginning and trailing it off at the end?

Witt I do that for comps. For a long low and slow cook on the gator is exhausting and when turn ins come around I am useless. With the high heat I am able to get more rest. I tail it off toward the end because this would be around the time I would be putting my ribs on and they do not respond well to high heat. I have done it 300-325 the whole cook and had excellent results but now I am trying to get my timing perfect for comps.
I also do the high heat with briskets and with both I get the same results as with low and slow.

Chris

I was very happy how the butts came out. It was nice to have pork after not having it for a few months.

Here is the smaller butt finished

Chris

Tannehill Kid said:
Chris how long did it take to do the butts with high heat?

What I did was for the first five hours was run the pit around 300-325. Then I tailed it off to 240. The larger one which (9lbs) took a little over nine hours and the smaller one(7lbs) took about 8 hours. Today I ran into some problems when I took the heat down I for about an hour I could not get the smoker past 225. This seemed to slow down the process because over the I was getting them done in 7-8hrs. I also do not foil which will result in longer cook times than those that run around the same temps.
If you have not tried this yet I would recommend you give it a try. It is a lot less work they babysitting the stick burner for 12-16 for long low and slow cook. When I do it this way I cannot taste a difference.

Chris

chris1237 said:
Tannehill Kid said:
Chris how long did it take to do the butts with high heat?

What I did was for the first five hours was run the pit around 300-325. Then I tailed it off to 240. The larger one which (9lbs) took a little over nine hours and the smaller one(7lbs) took about 8 hours. Today I ran into some problems when I took the heat down I for about an hour I could not get the smoker past 225. This seemed to slow down the process because over the I was getting them done in 7-8hrs. I also do not foil which will result in longer cook times than those that run around the same temps.
If you have not tried this yet I would recommend you give it a try. It is a lot less work they babysitting the stick burner for 12-16 for long low and slow cook. When I do it this way I cannot taste a difference.

Chris
I will give this a try. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom