Stuffed Pork Loin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
I started off rendering chopped bacon, then carmelized 1 whole red onion in the bacon drippings along with several garlic cloves closer to the end. Then added chopped mushrooms and chopped spinach. After that cooled I added swiss cheese. I then butterflied 1/2 of a whole pork loin and pounded until I had a uniform consistency. Then stuffed, rolled and tied. Then cooked over Royal Oak and one hockey puck size chunk of sugar maple, on a raised grate direct at 325* for about an hour and a half. Served with wild rice and butter beans! This meal was one of the best I've made in a while!!!

ScottyDaQ said:
Looks awesome Larry!
How did you like the maple?

Well I have 1 chunk left if that tells you anything! I've been using it on pork and chicken and love it!!!

Do look very good. I have to try that on a loin one of these days. I have plenty of string. They got em on sale at Kroger for 1.99 purty regular.

bigwheel

Larry that looks fine Boy. I have a recipe for butterflyed pork loin wit apple, cranberry, Garlic, onion, stuffed rolled up like a jelly roll you Talk about Good Ill post it when I find it

Larry my boy, that was a work of art. Very nice. How about doing one of those up for a football sunday in the near future?

OK, Here is an observation. From the pic of the prep, it appears that you spread the stuffing mixture evenly across the loin but the finished sliced pic looks like the stuffing was all right in the center of the rolled loin.

If the stuffing were spread evenly and rolled like a cigar there should have been swirls of stuffing instead of a distinct center.

Does it matter ?

Was the loin pounded flat enough to roll like a cigar or was it more like rolling a wet newspaper ?

I am going to give this a try. :D

Cliff H. said:
OK, Here is an observation. From the pic of the prep, it appears that you spread the stuffing mixture evenly across the loin but the finished sliced pic looks like the stuffing was all right in the center of the rolled loin.

If the stuffing were spread evenly and rolled like a cigar there should have been swirls of stuffing instead of a distinct center.

Does it matter ?

Was the loin pounded flat enough to roll like a cigar or was it more like rolling a wet newspaper ?

I am going to give this a try. :D

Cliff my initial intent was to have the stuffing "swirled" in layers. But I didn't pound it thin enough to do so on purpose. If it had been pounded thinner the outside meat would have been way over cooked and dried out by the time the internal meat was done.

bknox said:
Larry,

That looks awsome. After you butterflied the loin do you cover it something to pound it flat or just go at it with a meat hammer?

I used plastic wrap and a mallet!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom