stoker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
brian j said:
after 20 hours the flat was still only at 182f. parts of the flat were tender according to the fork test but not all it if, so i removed the flat from the point, wrapped it in foil, and put it back in for another hour.

temp were starting to roller coaster more towards the end and i know now that this was caused from the build up of ash. still the stoker was able to maintain 235f for over 20 hours in temps that went down to the upper 20's at night so i'm impressed.

Great job. Looks great.

Have you considered any insulation for your WSM? I'm considering that jacket made by Guru, but I'd prefer to make something similar on my own and save a lot of cash. That said, that aluminum faced, both sides, fiberglass isn't the easiest stuff to source--and when I have found it, it's been nearly impossible to buy less than a 100' at 48" width.

The insulation seems to have a lot of merit to me. I think it would also help with any potential hotter/colder places in the WSM in addition to dramatically boosting fuel efficiency.

brian j said:
LowRent said:
Have you considered any insulation for your WSM?
yes i've thought about it but i haven't done anything about it for the reasons you listed. i'm lucky to have a covered patio and the house that blocks the prevailing winds in the winter months so i've been able to get by with just a wind block.

If several of us are interested, the per WSM price of the 1000* aluminized fiberglass can be quite reasonable. I even contemplated making/selling on my own, but the thought of the liability quickly ended such thoughts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom