Stirring the charcoal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
Doing so would cause a traumatic loss of heat. Open the access and very gently poke the coals a little bit. Stirring implies more activity than is necessary. Just a few well placed pokes should improve air flow around the coals with agitating the ash too much.

I use wood for my heat, but then I have an off set. You can use small chunks of wood to increase your heat if you need to. I wouldnt do a lot of stiring.

Sounds like it is going well cruise...forget the 5 O'Clock thing...it's 9:15am where I'm at and now is as good a time as any...Just as LARRY!! :eek: :eek:

Greg Rempe said:
Sounds like it is going well cruise...forget the 5 O'Clock thing...it's 9:15am where I'm at and now is as good a time as any...Just as LARRY!! :eek: :eek:

HEY....................."I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK"!

Cruising said:
So what's the longest a plateau could last? Just curious. My first brisket was a 5lb flat and the plateau was 3 hours or so (if I remember right).

I'm in no rush. In fact, this is working out awesome on timing. I was
hoping to get it to 190 and foil it for several hours. Dinner is around
6 if it's ready.

This time I am doing the real McCoy, a 13lb flat and point - and it's been just
over 9 ours and at 150. It moved up one degree just now - so maybe it's
moving on. What the longest a plateau might last?

Each piece of meat is different. I had two briskets this past weekend sit at 160 for over 3 hours and didn't budge a bit. Then things moved along nicely after that. Sit back, read the paper have coffee or beer is even better and RELAX!!! Just think about dinner!

Cruising said:
If I ever build a patio, it will have 2-way ramps! Thanks Larry! :(

Thanks, that really means alot to me. See Bryan, someone appreciates me.

Bryan S said:
Cruising said:
If I ever build a patio, it will have 2-way ramps! Thanks Larry! :(
When you get to know Larry you'll change your mind. The 2-way ramp will turn into a 1-way ramp into traffic. :lmao:

You just wait till you and Lisa come down to visit the Gator, bud. 8-[

Bryan S said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":24z1qtrc]

Thanks, that really means alot to me. See Bryan, someone appreciates me.
Larry, Buddy, Pal, Friend. I appreciate you too. And to show you how much i ................................................... [-X :-k [-([/quote:24z1qtrc]

Have you mailed my stuff yet??? Can I expect it by tomorrow??? Huh? huh? huh? huh? huh?

Bryan S said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":38c2fmmy]

Have you mailed my stuff yet??? Can I expect it by tomorrow??? Huh? huh? huh? huh? huh?
:-k .............................. :-k .................... :lmao: . Took it to UPS yesterday Bud. UPS web site shows that it's on the truck out for delivery. :winkie:[/quote:38c2fmmy]

Awww you do care! :smooch:

Try your best to separate the point whole from the flat. Then either throw it back on the cooker or in the oven to render more fat. Then chop it and sauce it. The point will still have a considerable amount of fat in it when the flat is done. I love the points, they have a flavor that is out of this world.

Cruising said:
Larry Wolfe said:
Try your best to separate the point whole from the flat. Then either throw it back on the cooker or in the oven to render more fat. Then chop it and sauce it. The point will still have a considerable amount of fat in it when the flat is done. I love the points, they have a flavor that is out of this world.

This sounds pretty good. Do I just refoil the point and put it in the oven at 225 for another hour?

For an hour or longer, you just don't want it to be too greasy. Chop it with a sharp knife, sauce and eat it fast cause it won't last.

Cruising said:
And the results.

This was really moist and we were all amazed. I and my family thank everyone for the help. I have to learn how to carve this thing properly. As you will see in the picture below, I butchered it.

First I picked it up, and it started separating. One piece looked like brisket so I just assumed it was the Flat. The other piece was a glob of meat and fat that sort of merged into the flat. I took that and some of the juices and put it in a pan. I am letting it cool and we decided to freeze it. We will use it for chili or chopped beef sandwiches.

The food was just awesome - thanks.

Coming out of the foil after 2 hour rest:

The flat (I assume) we are eating for dinner:

As I said, I need to learn how to carve properly:

But was it good!

I assume I can just put the whole Point in a foodsaver after it's been in the fridge and thouroughly cooled. (is this right)?

Shoot that brisket looks great! Who cares what it looks like while we're shoving it down our pie holes. If it tastes good that's all that matters. Great job!!!

Back
Top Bottom