Steelhead Trout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Qjuju

Senior Cook
I have been wanting to give this fish a try ever since it was recommended by a friend on another forum and he was right. I did it 2 ways... 1 with a honey soy glaze and the other with a pesto filling. The pesto was inspired by a fellow named Don Marco and he has won a competition or 2 in Germany. His looks better to be sure and probably tastes better too, but mine was very tasty!!

Here are a few photos...

We also had some fresh brussel sprouts with bacon and onions... very tasty!

Steelhead is a salmonoid. They are Rainbow Trout that enter tributaries to spawn then return to the lakes to feed. They are probably one of the best fighting fish out there...especially on a fly rod. I hate the way they taste though but I'm not a big fan of salmon either. You can put all this crap on a toenail and make it taste good....doesn't mean I'm going to eat it. I throw them all back now...the fish, and toenails too. ;)

UB, is spot on with steelhead. They are rainbow trout that act like a salmon. They leave their natal stream and go out to the ocean for two or three years. The big difference is that steelhead don't die after they spawn like a salmon. And they are superb fighters on any kind of tackle. UB, I don't like to eat them either, not being much of a salmon fan myself. However, I like to catch salmon.

I prefer my toenail sautéed in butter with a touch of herbs Du Provence. :LOL: I like salmon and this was similar, but not the same. It was also farm raised so that had an effect on it as well. We prefer wild king salmon and I usually smoke a side or 2 during the course of things, but this was at hand and I didn't have much time. If you don't like salmon stay away from this fish. Probably would hold true if you didn't like trout too. :)

I have a friend that insists I try something that he hunts that I don't like and he tells me that I would like it if it was prepared correctly. I asked how that was and he told me that he puts the leg in foil, adds 5lbs of onions, 2lbs of bacon, 2 or 3 bottles of beer, 2 or 3 heads of garlic, salt and pepper and then puts it on the grill... flipping it once an hour for a few hours. I am thinking one could eat darn near anything cooked that way. :)

Just as they begin to get that caramelized color. I caught some king salmon on Ontario quite a few years back and it was really good with just butter and dill. Now they are so contaminated with mercury you may as well suck on a thermometer and get the mercury that way. Unreal!!! :evil:

I'm also a hater of steelhead. Rempe made me cook some of the stinkers on my brand new pit for his father in law years ago. Actually, they are not a "disgusting" fish ,like say, a "sheepshead" (freshwater drum) , but I don't care for them, or lake trout, which are quite similar.

My father in law loves them...whenever I fire up the cooker he brings some over for me to cook...and he loves them!! I would never touch the stuff, personally! :D

bknox said:
Nice lookin' eats. Did you use a basil pesto? my Dr. says I need to start eating fish and that looks like a good way to do it.

Thanks... It was a basil pesto. I just picked it up at the mega mart to save some time. This was a quick dinner after running the Saturday errands. As I mentioned before we prefer smoked Salmon but there wasnt time for brining and pellicle forming and slow smoking. This was good...

but I really prefer this. This is leftovers after a great meal...

Then you do something like this...

and this...

and this...

and this...

and ultimately this...

Get to know your fish monger and I am sure you will have some good results. :)

P.S. I wanted to tell JB that I used to foil my toenail until I learned how to take it all the way without... but I resisted! :LOL: Sorry JB... love your videos and if I ever get to your area I am finding some Boudin Balls to be sure!! Anyway, figured you could take the minor ribbin'! :LOL:

I went to talk to my fish monger yesterday...he had just gotten
in salmon from the Faroe Islands....he was really going on and on about it so I asked for a pound of it raw. Went home, sat down, mixed a little
soy and wasabi and knocked it out in about 60 seconds....it was by
far the best fish of any type I've ever eaten.

Also got lucky last weekend when Lowes foods had sashimi grade
tuna steaks on sale for 5.99...gobbled down 2 of those.

I'm guessing there are only about twenty fishmongers within 5 miles of Cicero!!! I used to have an account at West Lake and Central, and another at West Lake and California..Rough areas!!! First time I was there it was 100 degrees in August, and there had been recent rioting . It was about 3 pm and there were people EVERYWHERE on the streets!!!! Being a white guy, I was scared to death naturally. I was lost because, my customer did not have any marking on the building, identifying the place as a business! I ended up goint to the Steak and Egger south of Roosevelt on Central? I called him from there and he said that I had been sitting right in front after all! Once I got past that first time in the Chicago Hood, I got very familiar with the city, and am now quite at ease everywhere there!

Wow you know the area better than I do. Central and Lake is a lot closer than Isaccsons on Lake and Ashland (Downtown Chicago). I bet Oak Park has a good one as well and it is not much farther, almost directly north. I guess I could let my fingers do the walking and get out this weekend.

Thanks,
Bryan

Steelhead trout are probably the most fun. It is a rainbow trout that spends part of its life in the Pacific Ocean. It has the same general appearance as other rainbow trout. There several different fishing techniques which can be used to catch steelhead trout. Winter is not the best time for fresh fish selection and this week the only choice was Steelhead trout.

Back
Top Bottom