St. Louis Ribs Done Right from Sat.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Max1

Head Chef
Made some great ribs this past Sat. Here are the pics of the prep and cook...... If some words are spelled wrong sorry I am Dyslexic drunk, and listening to Disturbed!!!!!!

Well I did not catch any pics of me putting the rub on, but I am sure most of us know how to do that by now!!!!!!!! Also for my St. Louis Ribs I always use the 3,2,1 Method. Best way to do Ribs I think. Best Tasting anyway, only downfall is it takes 6 hours.

1. Here are the ribs after about 1 hour, I opened the smoker for the first mopping.
1.jpg

2. After 1.5 hours, and a mopping.
2.jpg

3. The 2 hour mark, and mopping.
3.jpg

4. This is the at the 2.5 hour mark and mopping, 30 minutes before I wrap the ribs for a 2 hour steam and melt in foil.
4.jpg

5. The last part of the smoking process, this pic was taken about 5 minutes before wrapping the ribs. That and it was just a nice Spring day out.
5.jpg

6. This is where i started the wrapping process. I had to cut the slabs down to 3 to 4 bones because for some reason all my extra wide foil had disappeared, ain't that just weird?
6.jpg

7. When I wrap the ribs, I am looking for really 2 things, pull back, and increasing the sweetness of the meat, that is how most Northerners like ribs, Sweet. That is also why we use mostly fruit woods when smoking. Step 1:, well for me anyway is, taking a piece of foil any laying the ribs on it so there is enough room to make a triangle(tent) of the foil when everything is done.
7.jpg

8. Step 2: I like to add alittle butter to each foil tent.
8.jpg

9. Step 3: Add some brown sugar to each foil tent on to the top of the butter.
9.jpg

10. Step 4: Add about 1 tablespoon to each foil tent on top of the brown sugar, and butter.
11.jpg

11. Step 5: Add a liquid to the bottom of each tent. When the liquid heats it will cause it to steam, which will cause the meat on the ribs to pull back from the bone, and will also make the meat really moist, and tender. You ca use pretty any liquid for this I.E. water, apple juice, apple cider. You don't need much either about 3 tablespoons. I used some beer, it is what I had on hand.(You really can not see it in the bottom it is under the ribs.)
10.jpg

12. Step 6: Close the tents so no steam escapes.
12.jpg

13 Step 7: Place on a grill with direct heat.
15.jpg

14. Make sure the grill is covered and no one disturbs it for at least 2 hours.
20.jpg

15. This is the important part. When the meat is wrapped and on the grill, make sure that temperature DOES NOT exceed 300* for those 2 hours.
19.jpg

16. Just to let you all see what I used in the foil tents.
13.jpg

14.jpg

17. Step 8: Almost done. Now you will need to unwrap the tents and remove the ribs for the last part. This is the direct heat part. Depending on how you want your ribs to look. You should leave them on the heat for ATLEAST 20 minutes. Technically the ribs are done, and can be eaten, this step allows you to achieve crispness, and tenderness. I leave mine on for usually 40 minutes, turning 2 or 3 times. If you like sauce this is the time to add it. We don't. Here are my ribs thus far. :P
17.jpg

18. Some people in my house like ribs alittle charred. So I took the temp up too 400*, and let the fire do its thing.
21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

Sorry I do not have any pics of them plated. Will take some pics the next time around of plated meat. My family already looks at me strangely because I take pictures of food LOL.

19. And again it was just a really nice day out.
16.jpg

Anywho grill on peeps and hope yo enjoy the post and pics,

Max

Back
Top Bottom