Ssusage Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary in VA

Head Chef
Ok.. maybe not Exactly BBQ, but I have got the itch to make some sausage... I have never done this before and have no idea what I am doing, but it sounds interesting.

I am thinking of doing sausage links. I have access to a grinder/stuffer that I can borrow until I decide this is something I really want to do.

Any tips, tricks, recipes or especially recommended books on sausage making???

Thanks

Gary

Check out the Kutas book...keep your meat cold....double grind it course...and what kind of sausage are you going to make

Yeah, keep it cold -like nearly frozen. Whne the stuff starts to warm up, I put the whole shabang (including grinder) in the freezer for 10 to 20 minutes. Also, cut you meat into chunks that will fit in the grinder. Use all the FAT, in fact you might want to add some. Most meat from the supermarket has been trimmed too much. Good luck.

PS: We are in the process of moving so my cookbooks are packed. Should be able to give you the title of my favorite in a day or two.

Well I dont think a person needs a steeken book to make sausage. Especially books wrote by dumb yankees from New Yawk with funny names. It aint nutting but meatloaf stuffed in a gut and the gut really aint all that essential to the undertaking. There are several websites which will take you from the ground up and splains it all. Start with this link:

http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli/

Real friendly an helpful fella over there named Len Poli. He is the undisputed guru of internet sausage making as far as I can tell.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well I dont think a person needs a steeken book to make sausage. Especially books wrote by dumb yankees from New Yawk with funny names. It aint nutting but meatloaf stuffed in a gut and the gut really aint all that essential to the undertaking. There are several websites which will take you from the ground up and splains it all. Start with this link:

Real friendly an helpful fella over there named Len Poli. He is the undisputed guru of internet sausage making as far as I can tell.

bigwheel

Thanks for the link. It's a pretty interesting site. Oh, BTW, MUCH different than reading a book about the same thing.

Nick Prochilo said:
bigwheel said:

bigwheel

Thanks for the link. It's a pretty interesting site. Oh, BTW, MUCH different than reading a book about the same thing.
Good Texas name, Poli. :P

--John 8)
(These continuous regional insults get tiresome, wheel.)

Well we got a lot of pollocks running around down here. Oldest Polish settlement in the US located right cheer in God's Country. Texas of course:)

bigwheel

Well I have had a full quota of them greasy gut bombs from the Hill Country. This one here will make you chunk rocks at Elgin Hotguts..Smittys..Neimeichezks or whutever other place you can think of. This is a top secret recipe so kindly keeps it under your hat. Loose lips sinks ships ya know?

bigwheel

Bigwheel's Genuine Texas Hotlinks

6-7 lbs. Boston Butt
1 bottle beer
2 T. coarse ground black pepper
2 T. crushed red pepper
2 T. Cayenne
2 T. Hungarian Paprika
2 T. Morton's Tender Quick
1 T. Kosher Salt
1 T. Whole Mustard Seeds
1/4 cup minced fresh garlic
1 T. granulated garlic
1 T. MSG
1 t. ground bay leaves
1 t. whole anise seeds
1 t. coriander
1 t. ground thyme

Mix all the spices, cure, and garlic into the beer and place in refrigerator
while you cut up the meat to fit in the grinder. Pour the spiced beer over
the meat and mix well. Run meat and spice mixture through the fine plate and mix again. Stuff into medium hog casings. Smoke or slow grill till they are done. Wrap in a piece of bread and slap on the mustard heavy. Bob Wills music and Lone Star Beer on the side.

cleglue said:
Here is a website that I bought my sausagemaking smoker from. The URL is the book what wittdog recommended.

http://www.sausagemaker.com/index.asp?P ... ategory=59

The homepage for the site
http://www.sausagemaker.com/

Good Luck.

bigwheel said:
Well we got a lot of pollocks running around down here. Oldest Polish settlement in the US located right cheer in God's Country. Texas of course:)

bigwheel
I believe Mr Poli is of Italian descent. As he says on his Web site, buon appetito.

--John 8)
(Pollock is a species of fish. You probably meant Polock, which is generally considered an ethnic slur.)

Unity said:
bigwheel said:

bigwheel
I believe Mr Poli is of Italian descent. As he says on his Web site, buon appetito.

--John 8)
(Pollock is a species of fish. You probably meant Polock, which is generally considered an ethnic slur.)

John, if ignorance hurt, he'd be screaming in pain all day!

Wittdog,

This is the smoker I bought. My wife gave it to me for Christmas 2004 I think.

http://www.sausagemaker.com/index.asp?P ... ProdID=232

It did not come with the cover to keep the juices from getting into the wood pan. I've only used it about 2 or 3 times because we were doing major construction on our house during the first nine months of having the smoker.

Here are some pictures of my box smoker, a friends box smoker, and my sausagemaker smoker, along with making different sausage, salami, and jerkey.

http://usera.imagecave.com/cleglue/Sausage/

Well guess it was the "I" which throwed me. Seems like all Pollock last names end in I dont it? Now I aint never seen any real Eyetalains around here cept one real nice Roman Catholic lady who got transplanted in from New Yawk City. For some reason all the Eyetalian restaurants is run by Albanians down here. I aint never figgered that one out. Anyway she run a bbq and sub place where she made the worst bbq and best meatballs I ever ate. She cooked the bbq in some kind of giant pressure cooker gizmo which burned wood. Fortuantly I did relieve her of the meatball recipe and will share it for only 5 bucks. Let me know. Actually I give the recipe away free but the 5 bucks covers only the shipping and handling charges.

bigwheel

Unity said:
bigwheel said:

bigwheel

--John 8)

bigwheel said:
Well guess it was the "I" which throwed me. Seems like all Pollock last names end in I dont it? Now I aint never seen any real Eyetalains around here cept one real nice Roman Catholic lady who got transplanted in from New Yawk City. For some reason all the Eyetalian restaurants is run by Albanians down here. I aint never figgered that one out. Anyway she run a bbq and sub place where she made the worst bbq and best meatballs I ever ate. She cooked the bbq in some kind of giant pressure cooker gizmo which burned wood. Fortuantly I did relieve her of the meatball recipe and will share it for only 5 bucks. Let me know. Actually I give the recipe away free but the 5 bucks covers only the shipping and handling charges.

bigwheel

Unity said:
bigwheel said:

bigwheel

--John 8)

Probably because you wouldn't..................never mind

Gary good luck stuffing meat loaf in to guts….U can take the advice of an individual that seems to have an opinion on everything…..or take the advice of a man of Polish decent who has done it a time or two and buy the book…IMHO…….making good sausage is a little different than meatloaf in guts.

The fat content of the meat, the size of the grind, how many times your grind the meat, the binder you use or don't use, the temp of the meat when grinding and stuffing and the temps in which you smoke the sausage at..all effect the quality of the sausage you make.

bigwheel said:
Well I have had a full quota of them greasy gut bombs from the Hill Country. This one here will make you chunk rocks at Elgin Hotguts..Smittys..Neimeichezks or whutever other place you can think of. This is a top secret recipe so kindly keeps it under your hat. Loose lips sinks ships ya know?

bigwheel

Bigwheel's Genuine Texas Hotlinks

6-7 lbs. Boston Butt
1 bottle beer
2 T. coarse ground black pepper
2 T. crushed red pepper
2 T. Cayenne
2 T. Hungarian Paprika
2 T. Morton's Tender Quick
1 T. Kosher Salt
1 T. Whole Mustard Seeds
1/4 cup minced fresh garlic
1 T. granulated garlic
1 T. MSG
1 t. ground bay leaves
1 t. whole anise seeds
1 t. coriander
1 t. ground thyme

Mix all the spices, cure, and garlic into the beer and place in refrigerator
while you cut up the meat to fit in the grinder. Pour the spiced beer over
the meat and mix well. Run meat and spice mixture through the fine plate and mix again. Stuff into medium hog casings. Smoke or slow grill till they are done. Wrap in a piece of bread and slap on the mustard heavy. Bob Wills music and Lone Star Beer on the side.

cleglue said:
Here is a website that I bought my sausagemaking smoker from. The URL is the book what wittdog recommended.

http://www.sausagemaker.com/index.asp?P ... ategory=59

The homepage for the site
http://www.sausagemaker.com/

Good Luck.

I've made these sausages many times. Dang good! Put them in a contest one time a few years ago. Got whipped by Raine and that Chow Chow of hers on a Nathan's I believe. I begged to differ.

Good Q!

Jack

Well most of this stuff makes sense. Will disagegree in only an area or two such as..a storebought pork butt has plenty of fat to make good sausage without adding no fatback..as does 80/20 ground chuck. Think the only difference you will find is the all beef models will give a slightly firmer bite. Now if you start moving into lean beef (somewhere less than 20%) it will turn to rubber..and if you stumble over lean pork (wild hawgs or loins etc) it will tend to get crumbly. Here lately I been doing it like this for roughly a 20 lb batch.

2 butts (which usually hit in the 12-13 lb range once they been deboned)
1 5 lb chub ground chuck (plug Bambi's Mama in here if you a sportmans)
1 3 lb box bacon ends and pieces (that be for flavor not added fat but the added fat dont hurt it a bit)

Borrowed this general meat ration from my pal Big Dave Pauling and find it works real well for most any type of sausage. For them who claim to not like MSG..can only say..a billion Chinamen cant be wrong.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
a billion Chinamen cant be wrong.

bigwheel
wheel, if you made an effort, don't you think you could get through a post without slurring somebody? Every time you come on here you display bigotry, hatred, and hostility. What's with that? Why do you think it's cute to call people insulting and hurtful names? The texas bumpkin routine might be fun among your like-minded buddies down at the bar, but it's not fit for taking out into the public.

--John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom