Squerked one out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rag1

Executive Chef
I cooked a pig Friday night/Sat am for a wedding reception. That pig was really kicking my ass. I had it positioned towards the rear side of the grate to allow for room in the front for 4 butts. Bad mistake. There was a temp probe in each shoulder which told me the side closest to the back door was lagging by 15* to 20*. My extra time built into the schedule was eaten up and I started jacking the pit temp up 4 hours before serving time. I pushed the temp up 70*.
That cool side just hit a little shy of the target temp when I pulled it. Very little rest time.
The pig looked like crap. The higher temps made the skin pull up the sides and completely up over the ass. The foil covering was pulled way early to help bring up the temp which made the skin coal black.
Fruit was placed around the front for picture taking and show & tell time which helped a lot.
The meat was outstanding and the feed a success.
Some of the guests said they were at pig cooks where the meat sucked.
I can see it now...some dude will cook a picture perfect pig and these people will say "that ain't done right. It's should be black and shriveled up for the meat to be good". :LOL:
By he way, I weighed all the pulled meat (this is the second pig I did this to) and the yield was 30% of raw dressed wt. The butts were 50%.

I can see it now...some dude will cook a picture perfect pig and these people will say "that ain't done right. It's should be black and shriveled up for the meat to be good".

haha glad ya got it worked out....I wouldnt even know where to begin with a monster like that...Id haveta cutem in quarters and use both my drum smokers and all the racks lol

Good to see you made it work..nothing worse then unhappy eaters...

Well I aint never had no daid pig kick my ass. Thinking maybe you shoulda kilt it first. :LOL:
Now pigs like to die happy. Did your pig go to hawg heaven in a good frame of mind? You can even put a little valium in there drinking water a day or two in advance of the blessed event..that way it makes em where they dont shive a get. Just trying to cover all the bases here.

bigwheel

Barb asked if she should get the camara when folks were shooting picS, I said "HELL NO".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom