Spare Ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JWJR40

Senior Cook
Is there anything special that I need to do before smoking ribs?
How long do they usually need to cook and at what temp?

I just smoked spare ribs today. See the post Ribs with Ddogs rub. Try the 3-2-1 method. Three hours in the smoke, two hours wrapped in foil, then take them out of the foil put them back on the smoker for an hour this helps to firm them up. Baste them with sauce if you like them wet about 30 minutes before you pull them. I take the membrane off http://usera.imagecave.com/cleglue/Ribs/ribmembrane.JPG and rub with plain old yellow mustard, then sprinkle rub on them to get them ready for the smoker. I try to maintain 225* to 250* in the smoker.
Here is a picture of a slab of finished wet ribs
http://usera.imagecave.com/cleglue/Ribs/ribs.jpg

Good luck.

Some people spray with apple juice during the smoking process.
Here is a piece from the virtualweber site.
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ribse ... #spareribs

Thanks for the help, I will be putting them on in the a.m. Do I have to do anything special to the ribs before putting them on the smoker?

Are you sure you're Larry's brother??? :eek:

:grin: Just kiddin' . . . . . 8-[

Positive

I know, Im a newbie at this. This will be the second thing that I have smoked. I just dont want to mess them up. #-o

Cleglue,

How do you get the membrane off?

I tried and all that I could manage to get off were bits and pieces.

Is there any problem if I cant get it off?

Their better if you can get the membrane off. Use a paper towel like Thom said. Sometimes I couldn't get mine off either so if you can't don't worry the ribs will still be fine. My cousin and others actually like the membrane.

Thanks for your help

I will try again tomorrow before I put my rub on. Hopefully it will come off.

Ive got some Hickory to smoke it with, is this a good wood for ribs?

Ive been grilling for years, but smoking is a whole different ballgame. I did a chicken on it and now I am hooked.

JWJR40 said:
Thanks for your help

I will try again tomorrow before I put my rub on. Hopefully it will come off.

Ive got some Hickory to smoke it with, is this a good wood for ribs?

Ive been grilling for years, but smoking is a whole different ballgame. I did a chicken on it and now I am hooked.
Hickory is the main wood I smoke with, I like to add some fruit wood, like apple, cherry,pear.
They add a more mild flavor.

Thanks Puff,

I just got the membrane off. Or as much as I could. I will put my rub on it tomorrow and hope for the best.---LOL

JW, the "membrane thing" gets easier with practice. Use a butter knife and slide it in right next to a bone. Then kind of lift up in a leverage sort of move. Once you get about an inch or so seperated. Take a towel (paper or cloth) and grasp the membrane. Pull slowly and it will come off whole. You'll get it! Sorry about your brother ! (Being Larry I mean!) :!:

When removing the membrane, don't try to start right at the end. Start a couple of bones in - then when you've worked the knife under the membrane, work back toward the short side. That will give you enough to get a good grasp on, as you then work back toward the other end.

To get the membrane off use a temp probe tip in the middle of the rack to get it started, then put a butterknive in the opening when it's big enough to get about 2 fingers in put your first two fingers in and pinch down with your thumb, then pull up the whole membrane will come off easy.

Just got off the phone with John and he's very happy with the way his ribs turned out!!! It must run in the family! 8-[

Is this the beginning of something? :eek: The Wolfe Brothers?? :eek: :eek: I can see it now......... [-o<

JWJR40 said:
Is there anything special that I need to do before smoking ribs?
How long do they usually need to cook and at what temp?

Well just got done here did 8 racks of baby back ribs , started at 12 noon pulled em off at 4PM kept the temp around 250-300 , came out perfect. Of course thats using a offset firebox on a 55 gallon steel drum using oak wood cut to fit my firebox.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom