Spare Ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used Hickory on my ribs. Ill have to give oak a try next time. Is it a strong flavor like mesquite?

The Joker said:
Is this the beginning of something? :eek: The Wolfe Brothers?? :eek: :eek: I can see it now......... [-o<
Yeah Joker one brother know's everything and the other is just learning.... :razz: :taunt: That's for the egg thread. Larry.

JWJR40 said:
I used Hickory on my ribs. Ill have to give oak a try next time. Is it a strong flavor like mesquite?

For some it may be I am so used to it , my father taught me how to smoke food , he liked it. I have been thinking of mixing oak and hickory and see what that does.

WalterSC said:
JWJR40 said:

For some it may be I am so used to it , my father taught me how to smoke food , he liked it. I have been thinking of mixing oak and hickory and see what that does.

Walter I have never used Oak, but have been told that Oak doesn't impart much flavor what do you think? I've mainlyused hickory, apple or cherry.

wittdog said:
WalterSC said:
JWJR40 said:

Walter I have never used Oak, but have been told that Oak doesn't impart much flavor what do you think? I've mainlyused hickory, apple or cherry.

Hiya Witt , well according to my folks that were here it gave it a nice mild flavor , not to strong just right . Reckon why I used it oak is easily available were I am , never see much hickory , apple or cheery . But When I can find some I plan on trying them.

Witt,

I've been using white oak and it seems to do well. I use hickory alot. Now both have been cut and dried for over 2 years. I'm having a hard time distinguishing the different in the taste. I cut two small hickory trees down back in January. They are still laying on the ground. I need to work them up and get them ready for smoking. Some people say I need to let them dry along time other say only a few months. I figured I'd throw a few small fist size chunks in the new WSM to see it I can really taste the different. I haven't bought any bag chunks of wood...all of mine has come from my father-in-law...he heat with a water stove...so there is plenty of wood for smoking.

I didn't mean to hijack this thread.

Don't be sorry :!:
I saw bones pulled back and a nice smoke ring =D>
Good job :!:

My wife said that it sure takes a long time to smoke some bones.

I really dont listen to her--LOL

JWJR40 said:
My wife said that it sure takes a long time to smoke some bones.

I really dont listen to her--LOL
Now you sound like your'e brother :eek:

It's not a walk in the park is it?
All the time it takes is worth it :!:
Are there any left? 8-[

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom