SOTB - Whole Hog or Boston Butts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
Largely depends on the smoker you have. I've got a gas grill big enough for the hog, but I get better flavor out of my bullet. So I take both, and turn in the butts from my wsm. The rest gets cooked in the gasser and turned in to be sold by the Shriners. Now last year, the guy who won
(Kilby Kilted) used only WSMs. When our own Jack W. won a couple of years ago, I think he used whole hog. Not sure.

Whole hog gives you the option of turning in different cuts of meat from the loin, ribs, wherever. Cooking whole hog, imho, is more difficult.

The butts give you a great chance to achieve smoke ring and bark, two
crucial componets for scoring.

No sir, I'm strictly a butt man. I used my Big Jim offset and cooked using hickory, pecan and apple sticks. I used the Big Jim because it's a dual cooker. It can be fired either gas or wood, and cooks like a dream in rain and nasty weather. Since gas is allowed, it's a smart choice.

www.lazyq.com

I cooked butts because that is also a smart choice. Whole hogs are a PITA and can be very unforgiving. Butts are easy to handel, no flip, and easy to get to pullable stage. No offense to any of the SCBA judges but 95% don't know the difference anyway. Maybe with a couple more years of training.

Just my .02

Jack

Captain Morgan said:
Largely depends on the smoker you have. I've got a gas grill big enough for the hog, but I get better flavor out of my bullet. So I take both, and turn in the butts from my wsm. The rest gets cooked in the gasser and turned in to be sold by the Shriners. Now last year, the guy who won
(Kilby Kilted) used only WSMs. When our own Jack W. won a couple of years ago, I think he used whole hog. Not sure.

All I know is I am looking forward to being there and seeing everyone and not have to worry bout judging !! Since we are gonna be onsite I am not getting a hotel room , I can always catch a cat nap in the car the next day before leaving. And I will have a digital camera on hand. MISFITS RULE!!!!!! See yall in Myrtle beach !!

Back
Top Bottom