Smoking cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rag1

Executive Chef
Smoked some cheddar cheese yesterday. Used the electric sausage smoker. The chips didn't smoke much at lower temp. Jacked the temp for a couple of minutes to 'red' up the burner and put out some smoke, then turned it down.
Tasted like it was smoked over a trash fire. Used cherry chips. Unimpressed.

How long did you smoke it....how dirty was the smoke? What temp did you smoke it at? Did the higher temps make the cheese sweat? Did you wrap the cheese in cheese cloth?

Let it sit in the fridge for a few days for the smoke flavor to mellow some and then try it..

Its the cheery wood. That stuff would gag a gut wagon maggot. Its designed for building furniture and eating cheerys etc. Not for cooking.

bigwheel

It tastes a little better today. Temp never got over 110*, yes, it sweated and smoke is smoke....dirty/clean....it was smoke. :roll:

Rag said:
It tastes a little better today. Temp never got over 110*, yes, it sweated and smoke is smoke....dirty/clean....it was smoke. :roll:
dirty/clean big difference with different types of stuff ;)

Well, tastes like I had dirty smoke. Not sure how to control that on an electric burner. Maybe saw dust?

Preheat it on you gasser first then put it in. Also, use about a third of the wood you did. Doesn't take much. You might actually try it on your bigger pit. I never liked smoked cheese out of an electric. My big mobile is great for cold smoking. Put it in the upright and start a small fire. Low heat and controlled smoke...works great.

Saw dust would do the trick a little better…the problem with the small smokehouse…is temp…getting the dust to burn without raising the temp to much…I’ve seen on other forums where people have used sodering irons as a heat source for the wood…..Cheese doesn’t need a lot of smoke to get smokey..wrapping it in cheese cloth helps to filter out some of the impurities from the smoke as well

Smokin' Dust works for cheese, but I've found it's better if the flavouring agents in the dust have faded somewhat. It is, afterall, hardwood sawdust.

Cheesecloth will make a difference in producing a tidier taste, as will using less wood product. It really does take only a small amount to get the job done with cheese.

A bigger cooker makes it easier to keep the smoke clean, and the temperature low enough to get a good end product.

Speaking of smoked cheese . . . sounds like a good plan for today!

Adrienne said:
Smokin' Dust works for cheese, but I've found it's better if the flavouring agents in the dust have faded somewhat. It is, afterall, hardwood sawdust.

Cheesecloth will make a difference in producing a tidier taste, as will using less wood product. It really does take only a small amount to get the job done with cheese.

A bigger cooker makes it easier to keep the smoke clean, and the temperature low enough to get a good end product.

Spoken from someone who knows how to cut the cheese. :shock: :LOL:

wittdog said:
…I’ve seen on other forums where people have used sodering irons as a heat source for the wood…..

I've done the soldering iron smoker with pretty good results. It does sound a little hokey but it works.
I like to use hickory apple with the apple being about 75%
apple/maple is good too.

DanMcG said:
wittdog said:
…I’ve seen on other forums where people have used sodering irons as a heat source for the wood…..

I've done the soldering iron smoker with pretty good results. It does sound a little hokey but it works.
I like to use hickory apple with the apple being about 75%
apple/maple is good too.

apple/maple is yummy

Uncle Bubba said:
Adrienne said:

Spoken from someone who knows how to cut the cheese. :shock: :LOL:

:shock: :oops:

Smoking Cheese

I think smoking cheese is a very simple task and can be done on about any cooker or even under a large cardboard box. It is easier to smoke it in the Winter but with a few tips and tricks, can be done in the heat of the Summer.

The cheese doesn't need heat....only smoke and it really doesn't take much as most cheese can be smoked in less than two hours.

img_184073_0_39f5793ff56b0153a25a62a2258786bd.jpg

I am prepping this cheese for smoking in one of my Backwoods smokers.

img_184073_1_4f8b4a2a5d78edb563e6f0480ec0b87a.jpg

On the smoker.

img_184073_2_20f505b3edb7fcf1e61175909832f79b.jpg

Done and vacuumed sealed for the fridge.

Great stuff!!

You can find more information on methods, the different cookers I use for this treat, and tips for smoking this wonderful appetizer at my site.

http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/sea ... g%20Cheese

This is my first post on this forum so I hope it comes out as expected. I have followed the forum for about a year but just never got signed up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom