Smoked seafood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big dude

Sous Chef
I have a friend bringing me back some fresh shrimp and pre shucked oysters from La. Any suggestions on smoking either?

big dude said:
I have a friend bringing me back some fresh shrimp and pre shucked oysters from La. Any suggestions on smoking either?
I'd grill the shrimp and eat the oysters raw... ;)

I can surely vote for grilled shrimp but I likes my oysters rolled in cornmeal and fried..yum yum. Eating them raw is sorta like trying to swallow a big wad of cold snot.

bigwheel

Well just had a feeling somebody would jump on that one:) Actually was just guessing whut cold snot tasted like based on the first hand expuriences of a fella who tole me about it who has done went back across The Mighty Red or the Sabine perhaps. Know it wasn't the Brazos. He didn't mention anything about the episode being akin to kissing the Ocean that I can recall. :shock:

bigwheel

I'm planning to do oysters raw, grilled, and fried and grilled and fried shrimp, but thought someone might also have a killer smoking method

I haven't really thought about smoking them. Do you mean a cold smoke like salmon is done? Might be killer... :D

We do littleneck clams on the grill all the time. Throw them on till they pop open, dip in a little butter...yaaaaaa man !! My new fav grilled shrimp recipe is the Alton Brown sugar/salt brine then grill thang...

I had a recipe for grilled shrimp that used taragon and lemon juice (amongst other ingredients) as a marinade..For the life of me I cant find it anywhere... Anybody ??

Well when this thread first started I think it was mentioned that the particular oysters in question was already shucked..which would remove them total out of the running to be eaten raw..as they are guarahnteed to be deader than a hammer whereas the raw oyster eaters I have known likes to make sure they are still alive when they go down the hatch. To smoke em would think it work purty good to dump them out in a single layer in a pan without a lid and stick them in the smoke for a while. Maybe a splash or two of beer to give em some moisture if they aint already got plenty. Thinking maybe 20 mins at 200 or so would work puty well..just guessing. Salt and peppa..a little butter blah blah blah. Still aint gonna bring em up high enough to kill the Lysteria virus but should help in getting rid of some of the potential undesireable critters which inhabit the thangs. Won't help with heavy metals mercury etc. either of course.

bigwheel

Most seafood has a very short shelf life. We always cook it (whatever the method) quickly and serve. IMHO, I would not want to eat a shucked oysters that has been sitting in a warm smoker long enough to soak up some smoke. Just don't sound healthy to me...and I'm a monkey!

I have done this, play it by ear.

Grilled Oysters

butter
garlic
Worcestershire sauce
HOT sauce

I start with fresh shucked oysters.
Using a muffin tin, (has 6 cups) I put about 2 TBLS of butter in each cup.
Add a little garlic (I like lots)
Add a shot or 2 of Worcestershire sauce
Put on smoker to melt butter
Put 2-3 oysters in each cup and stir around so oyster is covered and more or less sumereged.
Put on hot end of smoker and cook until the edges start to trun (wrinkle) 5-7 min depending on how hot your smoker is.
Remove and stir (this stirs the smoke that is laying on the butter)
The butter will be reduced some and the oyster will be firm
Add a shot or 2 of your favorite HOT sauce and eat up........

When I serve these at parties, I place cleaned oyster shells (I keep these on hand) on a tray over a thick bed of rock salt. (the rock salt keeps the shells upright. Then place 2-3 oysters in each shell then add the hot sauce and serve.....

bigwheel said:
I can surely vote for grilled shrimp but I likes my oysters rolled in cornmeal and fried..yum yum. Eating them raw is sorta like trying to swallow a big wad of cold snot.

bigwheel

Oh, Thats rough! haha

Back
Top Bottom