Smoked Salmon advice...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hogdady

Cook
Since I am now the happy owner of a Masterbuilt electric smoker, I want to smoke some salmon for my Superbowl party. Only problem is I have no clue about brining or the smoking process. Can anyone help this noob get a clue?

Muchas Gracias

Hey HD. Try this link and look for Stogies recipe. Sure since it was him that posted it you will find it muy bueno. I been sparring around with that young man since Moby Dick was still only a minner. He seems to be a purty fair cookie to me. Especially on disgusting stuff like dead fish:)

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13809

bigwheel

I just season and smoke it till it's sort of flakey. I've brined but it don't make much differance in my opinion. I like it dry like snack meat.

All great info guys. If I don't get too hammered, I'll try to take a few pics. Any suggestions on the type of wood for da smoke? :mrgreen:

Well if you want to be authentic and do it like it was invented by the native americkan injun peeples of the Pacific NW believe you will need some Alder. If that aint available think a little combo of apple and oak would work just fine. Maybe a touch of Pee Can. Hickory would seem a little overwhelming for it. Just guessing of course. Now some S. Texas mesquite would be tasty on there too. Hope it comes out good for ya.

bigwheel

What Nick said!!! I usto use apple. Alder is much better. It's a norhtwest tradition that dates back hundreds of years.

Found some alder pellets locally. Smoked the salmon last nite and it's sittin in the fridge now. Gonna have some in just a bit....it looks and smells delicious!

The smoked salmon was a hit with all of the fish-eating types. The alder wood smoke was new for me but the taste was amazing. Best of all, the misses loved it! Thanks for all of your help!

HD :weedman:

Congrats. Glad to hear things went well. When Mama is happy everybody is happy. Or I heard somebody say that one time. In fact I can testify to it also:)

bigwheel

Tri Tip said:
I just season and smoke it till it's sort of flakey. I've brined but it don't make much differance in my opinion. I like it dry like snack meat.

Snack meat... not just for a main course. Couldn't agree more :)

Back
Top Bottom