smoked pork shoulder advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yardsausage

Assistant Cook
im going to smoke my first shoulder tomorrow , i will score the skin,apply rub, then do i start it skin side up or down..its a 6 1/2 pd..temp and time thoughts on it..much appreciated from a newbie.

Take the skin off. Cut most of the fat off under the skin, there's enough fat inside. Rub it down with your favorite rub and let her rip!

about 12 hours at 265* - 275*. They can go on hold in a cooler, double wrapped in foil and packed in some newspapers for 6 hours or more and retain there heat after cooking. Leave yourself this rest period.

It will take between 12-16hrs depending on the temp you are cooking at. About 4 hrs to get it to 165*ish then another 4 in the "stall" don't worry it's ok if it sits at 155*-165* internal it's where the magic happens. Then about 4 hrs to get to 195* for pulled pork.

Agree with Nick on the skining but I like to skin it at about hr. 3 or 4 it the heat. It will slip off there like stepping out of an old house shoe. You try to skin it raw your in for a half day tussel and it ghuranteed to look jagged as crap. After it skinned at hour 3 re rub the wet spot and continueth. You can prep the picnic prior to cooking by taking your super sharp Forshner six inch curved boner and cut a little circular cuff skin deep about two inches above the bottom of the hock and then make a ninty degree cut up the inseam from the top of the cuff till you run out of skin. If you do it like that you can skin it with a pair of tongs at hour 3 or so and not even have to move it. Cook the skin separate for snackage. Now if you have a real full shoulder and want to push and pull it thats great. Now if you only got a picnic and try to make it pullable it has the texture of mushy ham. Now mix it fifty fifty with a butt moves back to a full shoulder and works great. Picnics working alone are more tolerable to brought only to the sliceable stage and served like ham. Just my itchy knee sun she hoochy koochy coo jew. That is counting in japaneso in case any just fall off the turnip truck around here.

bigwheel

Well thanks Nick. Was aferred somebody going to nag cuz I have gave out that suggestion too much. Us old geezers tend to repeat stuff a lot ya know:)

bigwheel

Well thanks Nick. Was aferred somebody going to nag cuz I have gave out that suggestion too much. Us old geezers tend to repeat stuff a lot ya know:)

bigwheel

Hey Boy. You been smoking that Acapulco Kudzu again? Don't make me drag Mr. Buckethead in on this deal.

bigwheel

Hey Witt great point. Now in the past somebody has inadvertently quoted Justeen Wilsan who claim there aint no cajuns in Baton Rouge. It all yankees. So aint shore the Boy can even blame such eccentric actions on being a Cajun. Who knows?

Wow. Modern science is moving too rapidly for me. Most likely the Boy sips on that stuff all day long whilst huffing on the Kudzu fatties.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom