Smoked Pears

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CarolinaQue

Senior Cook
Here's a few recipes that have been a home run lately both with friends and clients.

First one:

Smoked pears w/ raspberry compote

To make the compote:

Put 1 cup of black raspberry in a sauce pan on low heat. Place a 12 oz bag of thawed frozen rasperries in with it. Have another bag on standby to add at the end. Let it cook down for about an hour until it gets very thick. Stirring often so the sugars on the bottom don't burn.

Once it's thick, taste it and add to taste:

Turbinado sugar (I usually add 1/4 to 1/3 cup)
Ground Cloves
a little cinnamon
and a light touch of Gournd Ginger

I tend to go a little on the strong/sweet side to compensate for the other bag of thawed raspberries I add at the end.

At the very end, I add the other bag of berries and stir until they are warm and then take them off of the heat.

At this point, I cut some bosc pears in half and core out the center to get rid of the seeds and place them into a foil pan.

Scoop the compote into the pears, drizzle some melted white chocolate over them along with some toasted hazlenuts.

I put them on a 325* to 350* smoker for about 15 to 20 minutes using apple wood for smoke.

Second one:

Smoked pears w/ gorgonzola cheese

Take some bosc pears cut in half and core them out.

Mix the following together:

Crumbled Gorgonzola or Blue cheese. (The only difference is what animal the milk that made the cheese came from)

Toasted walnuts

Dried cranberries (reconstituted if you'd like)

Add this mixture to the pears and place on a 325* to 350* smoker for 15 to 20 minutes, or just until the cheese starts to melt a bit using apple wood for smoke.

Take off the smoker and drizzle the pears with some orange blossom honey.

Tim

Green,

I really think so. Pears don't take much time at all to soak up the smoke. That, and I like the smoke for fruit to be real suttle. But if you like more smoke, just leave them in a bit longer. Bosc pears do well in high heat.

Tim

I'll take some pics next time I make them. Should be either this or next weekend.

If you make the cheese version, you don't need much. As those of you that are familiar with it, probably already know that it is a strong flavored cheese. I use a 2 to 1 measure of the walnuts/cranberries to cheese mixture.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom