smoke question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddog27

Sous Chef
I saw something on the Food Network last week during the grilling and chilling programming that confused me. During one of the competitions that they showed, a BBQ team put foil on their uncooked ribs and put apple slices in the foil. (I like the idea of putting apples in when you foil!) But they said after a few hours they take the ribs out and then they will get exposed to the wood smoke. Now I thought that a piece of meat only absorbs smoke during the first 2 or 3 hours of cooking. If you foil first and then later take the meat out of the foil and expose it to smoke, will it absorb any smoke? Will you be able to have a smoke ring in the meat if you do this?

I was under the assumption that the meat will take smoke as long as it is in the smoke for the duration of the cook. I think that the smoke ring will stop forming when the meat reaches 140*. Again, this is JMHO!

So you can still get the smokey flavor but you might not get the smoke ring. Would you lose points in a competition if you did not have a smoke ring?
:compuf:

ddog27 said:
So you can still get the smokey flavor but you might not get the smoke ring. Would you lose points in a competition if you did not have a smoke ring?
:compuf:

I would guess you would not score as well as if you had a nice ring... :)

I've read Mortons Tender Quick will enhance smoke ring.

Will it also CAUSE smoke ring in the absence of smoke if one was to perhaps cook in an oven instead of a smoker?

Shawn White said:
I've read Mortons Tender Quick will enhance smoke ring.

Will it also CAUSE smoke ring in the absence of smoke if one was to perhaps cook in an oven instead of a smoker?

Yeah, there's a thread over in the cookshack forums that discusses that (with pics) but I'm too lazy to go lookin for it. :grin: :grin: :grin:

If you used the 3-2-1 method for ribs and cooked them for 3 hours in the smoke and then put the apple slices in when you foil for two hours. Do you think you would get the same sweetness in your ribs as if you had done the foil and apples for the first 2 or 3 hours? I think it would but I am not totally sure about that.
:happyd:

ddog27 said:
If you used the 3-2-1 method for ribs and cooked them for 3 hours in the smoke and then put the apple slices in when you foil for two hours. Do you think you would get the same sweetness in your ribs as if you had done the foil and apples for the first 2 or 3 hours? I think it would but I am not totally sure about that.
:happyd:

You might not... but maybe you could eat the apple slices your way. :)

Back
Top Bottom