Silver Maple and Ash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

backyardbbq

Senior Cook
I am getting ready to cut down a couple of trees and was wondering if they would be of any use in my smoker. There is only two types of trees; one is silver maple and the other is an ash tree. I've searched on this site and on the internet, but have not located anything on either one. Anybody have any thoughts?

I use all kinds of wood from my fireplace pile. The only harsh one is walnut.
All the neuances I hear people talk about is lost on me.

The maple may be OK, but the ash will have little if any value as a smoke wood. It is pretty hard so, it may be good for heat if augmented with something like oak, hickory, or apple.

Well I have cooked with ash a bunch and its good bbq wood just not real flavorful. Would definitely use it as a base for something mo aromatic. Silver Leaf Maple is a type of big weed sorta like a Cottonwood. Tract home builders love em cause they grow so fast they call it instant shade. It aint even really a tree. I would head to the dump with it. Or have a bon fire or something. That should work.

bigwheel

Aint never heard of using Huisache to cook with. It purty soft aint it? You ever hear of Wee-a-con (sic)? Its a small S. Texas shrub which is harder than a rock. Sinks when you throw it in the water etc. Old farmer I used to know at Corpus was a genius tinkering type fella who could make or fix anything. In fact the first offset bbq pit I ever seen in my life was one he built back in the real early 70's. He take an M1 carbine and make you a moochine gun quicker than a minnow can swim a dipper. Anyway he made knife and pistol grips using the Weeacon. Beautiful wood. Little bitty shrub might be 200 years old. He would sink it in his stock tank for at least a year or two then let it dry out good before he would work with it. He claimed that kept it from cracking so bad.

bigwheel

surfinsapo said:
Yall like to cook with huisache? ;)

I guess my biggest concern with the silver maple is it would be harmful to cook with, like pine.

Back
Top Bottom