Shoe Leather Brisket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of other tricks to try. After looking at the chart for brisket sizes you posted.
Ask your butcher if he will seperate the point from the flat for you. The point by itself is excellent for making chopped sandwiches.
Also ask him to cut the flat into 3 seperate flats for you. Most butchers are glad to do this for you. With the size of your grill, a big brisket is too hard to cook, and get it right. Just cook one at a time. Seal and freeze rest for other cooks.
Might want to add a small bottle of zesty italian dressing to your marinade. Imparts another layer of flavor plus the oil in it helps with moisture in the meat.
Try to cook indirect. Heat on one side, brisket on the other.
Place a pan directly under brisket with 1/2 apple juice and 1/2 water.
Hope some of this helps.
Mike

I prefer the point, actually. On a Weber site I saw how the two cuts are separated after smoking. Can you elaborate on how to cut the brisket? I usually just separate the flat from the point along that border between the two. That way it fits on the WSM. The WSM is 100% indirect heat.

Me too. I feel like have got a BA in brisket cooking just from reading all this stuff. I dont watch movies too much. The only person I ever met who approaches Bee Rich's level of ego and temper throwing ability was an old boy from Jouston named Michael DeBakey. Me and him got big time drunk in a Motel bar in Wilbarger County one dark night. I will take a wild stab on Rich's profession. Heart surgeon maybe?

bigwheel

Do you have a problem with English? Or just people in general? You asked me questions and I answered them. So you don't read the thread, you don't review what I posted (the video had a clear picture and an indication of how it couldn't fit), then you ask again. Strange place for someone who doesn't read much, to be spending time. Honestly, you push the button in the middle. It's really quite simple and completely in the realm of the subject. That's not ego, that's called discussion. Did you and Michael have a good time?

Here are 2 -15lb Briskets placed exactly as I described. Bent in the center, the other is forced between the top handles and foiled to prevent burning.
2004-09-17b%20006.jpg
6.jpg

Here is another 15lb brisket that I separated the point from the flat before cooking and cooked on my kettle. In any event a 15-20lb brisket will fit on a WSM .

One more note: Again, I don't trim until after the brisket is cooked and I don't spray for that matter. Probing a brisket for doneness will NOT dry it out either.

Thanks for the pics, Larry. The link I posted shows that we have different cuts here in Canada. We have a British cut system, so the 15 pounds is much longer. I wish I could get the US cuts as they're thicker.

Yeah me and the old Doc had a good time till he started throwing his little temper fits.

bigwheel

BeeRich said:
Thanks for the pics, Larry. The link I posted shows that we have different cuts here in Canada. We have a British cut system, so the 15 pounds is much longer. I wish I could get the US cuts as they're thicker.

Okay, I finally got around to watching and seeing the video........the brisket WOULD have fit, IF folded and cooked properly. I'm not trying to argue or disagree, but I've seen briskets that big cooked on a WSM and have cooked one myself, still searching for the pic's, think they're on my dead puter.

I'm still waiting for a local chef who knows Canadian cuts of meat to verify if we indeed have British cuts. All the briskets I've seen so far, including yours, are thicker. The ones I get, like the video, look like surfboards, with the single end (point) being somewhat thicker, which is the end that usually has the better results.

Now, having said that, I don't mind cutting the flat off. I've done it once where it was quite nice, but I built my smoking database after that. That used Zatarains without taking the cap off, and smoking with cap on topside. It was fantastic.

Nick Prochilo said:
BeeRich said:
I found out why my briskets won't fit. Or, a suggestion as to why they don't fit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef#American_primal_cuts

Different cut altogether.

What cut are you using?[/quote]

BeeRich said:
Please explain these few posts. You find out why yours don't fit saying its a different cut altogether, than I ask what cut and you say brisket. Bigwheel is right with your temper tantrums!

You want to know why? You didn't look at the link, did you? Either that, or you don't know where Canada's history comes from. It's not my temper, it's your plain inability to follow a thread. No wonder you agree with bigwheel.

If you want a hint, read the rest of the thread. Yes, yes, I know, it means you have to follow a thread. Too much work? I'm not going to explain it.

BeeRich said:
He is one as well. I'll be asking 2 other people as well, one being my butcher. That link is the one I posted. I'm suspecting we are the British system.

Update: Actually this is the link I submitted: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef#Cuts

Yes... My link refers to what we have, along with a specific # from an association that can be used as a comparison when you ask your contacts.
It will be interesting to see how Canada compares cuts to US. Seriousness!

BeeRich said:
You want to know why? You didn't look at the link, did you? Either that, or you don't know where Canada's history comes from. It's not my temper, it's your plain inability to follow a thread. No wonder you agree with bigwheel.

If you want a hint, read the rest of the thread. Yes, yes, I know, it means you have to follow a thread. Too much work? I'm not going to explain it.
No need to read the whole "Fing" thing! I CAN FIT AN 17 LB BRISKET ON MY 18" WSM! I've also fit 58 lbs of picnics on it! Would you like a little cheese with your WHINE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom