Shoe Leather Brisket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am hell bent to get this thing done. What completely frustrates me is that I'm getting farther away every time I do the thing. There are so many videos of people that whip it out and get it right. So frustrating.

Bigwheel: Honestly, you kidding me? I'm serious when I say these things are surfboards. I spent 90 minutes reviewing YouTube on American briskets and most of them are only points. The 15 pounders I bring home are absolute beasts.

Even so, if I bought a point from my butcher, it's still cut. Not like any brisket I bought is actually sealed at any end.

Its actually real easy just like Nick said. Make it hump up in a an inverted "U" shape which would put the top of the U up inside of the lid. Scoot the sides in so you can get the lid on it. It doesnt seem to hurt it a bit to touch the sides of the lid. It will soon shrink up enough to fit the grate.

bigwheel

Well have you tried it? Maybe those WSMs have funny lids. Is it torpedo shaped? You might have to break down and buy an ECB. They got big deep dome shaped lids.

bigwheel

Are you serious? What part of "I have a WSM 18" is confusing? You said you put full 17 pound briskets in them all the time. Try to stay with the thread, ok?

I've done many briskets and none of these would ever fit into a single layer of the WSM. Have you read a single thing I've said here? Did you actually see the video I posted?

Well I saw a video installing an antenna. And watching you guys finish concrete................... all I can say is don't quit your day job!

In this thread. I wasn't finishing any concrete, and I'm not Italian. My day job is a lot more than finishing concrete.

BeeRich said:
In this thread. I wasn't finishing any concrete, and I'm not Italian. My day job is a lot more than finishing concrete.
A lot more than finishing concrete? That would make you a shit stirrer, asshole! And for what it's worth, it's the Portuguese who finish concrete, not the Italians! Once a frog, always a frog!

Actually, it was in reference to the guy who was actually doing the concrete. Remember you saying something about my day job? You got your answer to your shit disturbing question. And with the largest population of Italians outside of Italy, Toronto certainly demonstrates Italians and concrete. Frogs are the French.

Personally I wouldn't have cut it. I would think a smaller piece of meat will dry out faster. When I have a big boy brisket like that, I use the handles on the top rack to hold both ends so the brisket is kind of bent up in the middle. As it cooks it will shrink and fit nicely on the top rack of your WSM. I usually cook my briskets on the smoker at 225 then pull it off at 190, foil, and let it sit in a cooler for an hour or more then slice. That's just how I do it and there are people on this board who know way more then me with a boatload of experience. Just my 02 cents. Thanks for listening :)

I am going to start looking for smaller briskets. Some of the briskets I've seen mentioned on Youtube are actually just points, which are a lot thicker.

Thanks for the post.

Rich, a 15-16lb brisket will fit on an 18" WSM. Pick it up in the center of the brisket, let it flop and then tuck the ends under the handles. If that won't work stick a soda can under it, to prop it up in the center. 2-3 hours later remove the can. I have pictures of a big one I did a long time ago, I'll search for the pic's.

Depending on your resources, look for a 'flat' in cryovac with alot of fat on it and don't trim it. They whould be between 8-10lbs. Or get a packer and have the butcher separate it for you to simplify things until you get a handle on the 'whole' brisket.

The one in that film I posted wouldn't have fit at all. I'll make some measurements. That's why I was asking to see it done, because these things come and they're insanely big.

Isn't the point the better part of the two? I've always enjoyed the point much more than the flat. I noticed in some competitions that the flat is submitted.

Okay, read enough on this, and watched your video.
First off you need to take advise from some of your compadres, and not contradict what they are saying.
Second off you need to stick to the size brisket that fits for your pit, or get a bigger pit. Don't cut in 1/2.
Third, where I live, brisket is what we do. I have won a lot of trophies at comps for brisket.
With that said, I never, repeat Never stick a temp fork in a brisket while it is cooking! You are just asking for it to be dry that way.
I never leave mine on to smoke for more than 4 hours. Then I wrap in double wrapped aluminum foil for the duration.
If I can't find a super trimmed brisket, then I trim it myself. I also will place 4 slices of thick cut bacon on till I get ready to wrap.
I also heavily squirt a mixter of apple juice, and apple cider vinagar fairly often till I get ready to wrap in foil.
I never go above 250F on the pit while brisket is on. Even after wrapped, I will usually leave em on overnight after I wrap them.
When you take them off, let it rest in the foil for about an hour. Cutting too soon will let all the juices run out resulting in a tough dry brisket.
One thing I did notice on your video was the grain of the meat. Don't just check for the "bend" test when buying brisket, but look closer at the grain of the meat. Meat from a 5 year old cow isn't nearly as tough as that from a 25 year old bull.
Not sure if/what type wood you use. I use live oak, cause that is what is plentifull in my area. No matter what wood you use, look for the "Blue Smoke" Google it.
Regards,
Mike

Thanks for those tips Mike. Not sure that hard headed boy pay you any mind of course:) He seems to be in the throes of a cyber temper tantrum.

bigwheel

OK, you are right. I bought the brisket, saw it, noted it wouldn't fit, but you think it's just attitude. I measured both just now. I won't fit. It's 5 to 6 inches longer, and crumpling it up inside the dome of what I own, the WSM 18, won't work. I've asked people to provide a demonstration, but nobody seems to have that available. My "compadres" say they do it all the time (bigwheel) but no evidence whatsoever. I provided a video over a year ago, where I specifically say it won't fit. Not good enough for you.

I can only get the briskets I can get. In fact I find it strange that I can only get things that big. That was why my response to the size of it was just that in the video.

I've never owned a temperature fork. I never said I have ever owned a temperature fork. Like I said, I have wireless thermometers with thermoprobes, and a similar instant thermometer.

I'm starting to think I have to post pictures of everything I use.

So you don't even take any temperature. You live in South Texas. It snowed here last night. What should I do? I am thinking my WSM would be out of fuel by morning. I've left the meat in the foil, and while it has rendered fluid in it, it's not like the brisket is tender or moist. The butcher I am using is in a top market in Toronto. One of the staff members asked me if I was making jerky, and I said I was going to smoke it. They know me well, and their meat is top notch.

I'm using lump charcoal (Royal Oak) and this time around 3 chunks of apple, and a container (large yogourt size) of cherry chips, both for smoke. Everything else I smoke is just excellent. Brisket, where I've tried brining, injecting, trimming/not trimming fat, wrapping, it just comes out worse every time.

Anyway, next time I'm going to try the following:

- smaller brisket that will fit
- not trimming it (I trimmed this one, it was super dry, previous non-trimmed were much better)
- wrapping around 165
- taking temperature up to 205'F

BTW I'm STILL looking around the Internet for pics of packers and mine are longer. If I can find one that's smaller, I can get 2 and take them to different temperatures.

Cheers

Actually, bigwheel, when I post information and videos, they are for a reason. Before you start lecturing, you might want to review them.

img_228516_0_02b007b9fc965cffa367b6971c64a77c.jpg

This is what I'm talking about. If ya want desent brisket, time to start looking into a better pit.

Mike

Great video. Old school rules. We did not have a cab with AC or a fancy sound system. Just drove the old IH on top of a seat with the old 4 cylinder gas motor whaling away. :LOL: Oats were the worst. After rain, they were dirty as all get out. I'll do corn any time.

Pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom