Running late butts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WildFireEric

Senior Cook
Slept in a bit too long and didn't get my three 4lb butts on the WSM until 11:30am this morning. Ran the WSM at around 250-275 and just foiled them at the 9 hour mark. They had different temps ranging from 160-170. I was too busy doing house work to see how long they were stuck, but I think they peaked at 150 at about 3 hours. Seems long time to hang in the the 150-170 range. Anyways, the rub i'm using is a lot more course that what I've been using lately and they have a nice bark. I'll see if I can find a camera to take pics of the things when I pull them and chop them up. By the way, I put a bunch of apple cider/GJD in the foil. We'll see if I can get that bark nice and soggy and drunk :)

Not as cold as John in N.Y. About 51 degrees outside. My Therapin takes several seconds to cool down to that temp, but seems to warm up to the meat temp in only a few seconds. Guess it is made for reading rising temps and not declining temps?

Oh, forgot that I put about 10 Brats on and they came out fine at 170 degrees in about 2-3 hours. So that part was working. I'll take a picture of that too.

Nick Prochilo said:
No pics = No cook! Sounds good though!

Tough Crowd!!! :)

I used some lump charcoal and wood to maintain 350 degrees (and sometimes hotter). Got the temps up to 170-192 on the Taylors but the Thermapen showed temps of 198-210 on two butts and one had 185 on one end and 198 on the other end. I pulled them all out of the 'fire' and am letting them rest. In case anyone wants to know, the Taylors go up to about 400 degrees before they say "HI". LOL....We'll see if my triple layer of heavy duty foil saved the meat or not.

I let the meat rest at a cozy 39 degrees outside for about 20 minutes. I figure that should have stopped the burning process :)

Once again, we'll see if the three layers of foil saved anything. Oh, if I failed to mention, I'm doing this for my boss since I lost a football bet. He knows I make good chili and actually requested that. I convinced him to try my bbq. Of course, this might not have been all that good. I may need to make a batch of chili tomorrow night if this turns out bad. Will let ya know :)

KyBlueBBQ said:
Cant give the boss bad food.. sounds like a good cook

No bad Q here. It appears the apple cider/GJD bath in the foil kept our piggies quite comfy. The outer foil looks like crap, but the inner ones were really nice. I was able to save the juices. As soon as I realized my thermapen was causing Titanic size holes, I made the decision to pull the meat outta the smoker and take chances the meat was done. Oh, its done and tasty. This spicy rub has just enough heat that its really nice. Of course, its all 'mushy' from the steaming, but I'd rather have moist meat over dry anyday. I'll work on getting this baby chopped up and take my final pics before I figure how to get them uploaded tonight. Thanks for all your support :)

OK...OK...OK...Got the Proof

Here's the pics from yesterday's BBQ.

Brats. First thing that was done

Got a late start on these butts and foiled them around 8:30pm after 9 hours, mostly stalled at 160s degrees. Triple foiled and added some apple cider and alcohol. The butts also got some apple cider and alcohol as well.

This is what maintained 350-400+ dome temp for 3 hours to get my reluctant piggies out of the stall and into my kitchen.

I needed one more temp for the outside. It was starting to get cold. 51 degrees at foiling and upper 30's when I pulled the potentially burnt piggies out of the furnace. I was embarrassed to show 388, so i opened the lid before taking the picture.

WSM in 30's Sunday night.

Opening the foil on piggy #1 hoping that the foil protected him from excessive abuse and my desire to get to bed by midnight.

Close ups of each "Survivor Piggy Edition"

Juice from one piggy. Gotta throw it back into the pulled pork.

Halfway done chopping one butt

Halfway done pulling the two other butts

The gift butts plus day-old brats :) Enjoy Steve!!! Remember to heat to at least 140 to kill any sominella. That's the re-heating directions you asked for :)

Lunch for my work on Wednesday!!!

reheating directions?

Any ideas on the temp and time to reheat 6-8 pounds of pulled pork in an aluminum foil pan covered in foil? I appreciate the help. What is the desired temp for this? I realize 140 will kill some bugs, but what do you want for tenderness? This is pretty juicy (and has some fat that can still use rendering) so it can handle higher temps if necessary. Thanks...

The last time I reheaated this way, I poured a little apple cider in the pan for moisture. Then covered the pan with foil. Then I stuck a maverick probe right thru the foil into the center of the pile of pork. Heat at 350 for a couple of hours or until the maverick reads 160. Hold at 160 for 60 seconds and lower temp to 140 and hold until ready to serve.

That is what I remember reading and executing, it went good.

Back
Top Bottom