Rub vs. Rub

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncle Al

Senior Cook
I did a taste test between my "WICKED GOOD RUB" and Larry's WOLFE RUB this past Saturday. The results were very suprising. The rubs taste very different raw. Larry's is very sweet with a hint of cinnamon and mine is a little less sweet with a hint of chili powder. Both very good. The color is also very different.

I cooked a couple of racks of spares and the trimmin's. I couldn't slice the racks cause they were for customers. Anyway after tasting a sample from each, I really couldn't tell which was mine and which was Larry's. Had to look at the pics to see what was what.

Maybe someone with a younger tongue that has not been anesthetized by vodka will be able to better tell.

Here's some pics Nick

Al

Did you sauce them at all Al? That might bury the rub taste a bit. BTW, I used the rest of your sauce tonight on some thighs I did for lunch for the week. I rubbed them down with Finney#2. Glazed them with your sauce the last 10 minutes. I just came home from a wake and saw them sitting there and had to have one. Man thats some good eats, the sauce is great!

Nick Prochilo said:
Did you sauce them at all Al? That might bury the rub taste a bit. BTW, I used the rest of your sauce tonight on some thighs I did for lunch for the week. I rubbed them down with Finney#2. Glazed them with your sauce the last 10 minutes. I just came home from a wake and saw them sitting there and had to have one. Man thats some good eats, the sauce is great!

Still using it? Wow... :D

Al I'll tell you first hand it's hard to battle the rubs on this board :shock:

Ribs looked great!

Finney said:
Nick Prochilo said:

Chris, get some of Al's sauce! What a great combo, Finney#2 & Al's sauce. I really like that #2!

Uncle Al said:
Maybe someone with a younger tongue that has not been anesthetized by vodka will be able to better tell.

Al

Uncle Al, I got the same problem, but I'm pretty sure gin did it in my case.

Griff

Nick Prochilo said:

Nick, no sauce, just good ol' dry ribs.

Al

Nick Prochilo said:
Finney said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":3qpasx1r]Did you sauce them at all Al? That might bury the rub taste a bit. BTW, I used the rest of your sauce tonight on some thighs I did for lunch for the week. I rubbed them down with Finney#2. Glazed them with your sauce the last 10 minutes. I just came home from a wake and saw them sitting there and had to have one. Man thats some good eats, the sauce is great!

Chris, get some of Al's sauce! What a great combo, Finney#2 & Al's sauce. I really like that #2![/quote:3qpasx1r]

You are one butt smoocher, Nick!

Woodman said:
Nick Prochilo said:
Finney said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":13qqpglc]Did you sauce them at all Al? That might bury the rub taste a bit. BTW, I used the rest of your sauce tonight on some thighs I did for lunch for the week. I rubbed them down with Finney#2. Glazed them with your sauce the last 10 minutes. I just came home from a wake and saw them sitting there and had to have one. Man thats some good eats, the sauce is great!

Chris, get some of Al's sauce! What a great combo, Finney#2 & Al's sauce. I really like that #2!

You are one butt smoocher, Nick![/quote:13qqpglc]

He has such soft lips !!!!

Al

Woodman said:
Nick Prochilo said:
Finney said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":38ndmdfb]Did you sauce them at all Al? That might bury the rub taste a bit. BTW, I used the rest of your sauce tonight on some thighs I did for lunch for the week. I rubbed them down with Finney#2. Glazed them with your sauce the last 10 minutes. I just came home from a wake and saw them sitting there and had to have one. Man thats some good eats, the sauce is great!

You are one butt smoocher, Nick![/quote:38ndmdfb]

Have you tried there rubs or sauce?

Bill The Grill Guy said:
They both look great UA. Next time try the Wolfe Rub Bold. Now that stuff is good on beef ;) .

Bill,

I did try the Bold first, on a beautiful slab of skirt steak, and it was indeed very good.

Al

Back
Top Bottom