Rub issues on brisket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
This is a typical issue that I have been encountering with brisket. Here are some details from the cook that these pics came from.

I used about 1-1/2 C of a sugar based rub.

I injected the brisket with about 2 C of a beef broth based mix.

The brisket was injected, rubbed and put on the smoker, all within an hour of each step.

I foiled at 170 and rested for 3 hours. Fat side down for the entire cook including the rest time.

I know what you think the pic looks like but it is rub......Post cook rub that I raked off the meat side of a 12lb brisket that I smoked for over 10 hours fat side down on a wsm.

There are lots of changes that I am going to make including cooking fat side up for some of the cooking time.

img_176465_0_b4be5828de46aee573840e96dbd477e5.jpg

img_176465_1_a7d770a86b6bb98b4bfb9b12c6842c47.jpg

I get this even when using a UDS. On the wsm I use sand. Smoked at 250-260 over lump.

I say to much rub is part of the problem.

You know how a steak or hamburger will push juice to the surface ? I use that as an indicator to flip when doing burgers.

I don't think pork chops do that.

perhaps you aren't cooking long enough to get a good bark. I don't touch my briskets until 190* + - then foil and let them sit.

on your next brisket maybe season with salt and pepper only and let it cook a little longer and see what you get.

Cliff,
The main problem is your rub.............IT'S NOT WOLFE RUB! :LOL:

For some reason your rub is not caramelizing, or even melting for that matter. That doesn't make since......Are you adding rub when you foil?

Try marinating a brisket over night in some " Bock & Brown Sugar"... Then a very thin coat of rub.. I think you'll love the results Cliff.... :D

Cliff, how long do you let the rub sit on your brisket before putting it in the WSM. I like the rub to sit for 3-4 hours on a brisket until the rub liquifies. I also cook the brisket anywhere from 250-300. I've had this problem when cooking at lower temps and when I did not allow the rub to liquifiy. I also flip 3-4 hour into the process after the rub sets and start with meat side up.

My .02 to much rub applied…to much sugar in the rub and not enough salt in the rub…If you are injecting with Beef broth I’m guessing you cut down on the salt in the rub…I think you need salt to draw out some of that moisture and help liquefy the sugar…

I don’t rub and wait a few hours…I just rub and toss on the smoker..it works for me

Wolfe Rub Bold is very good on Brisket ;)

wittdog said:
My .02 to much rub applied…to much sugar in the rub and not enough salt in the rub…If you are injecting with Beef broth I’m guessing you cut down on the salt in the rub…I think you need salt to draw out some of that moisture and help liquefy the sugar…:

Great point about the salt!

wittdog said:
I don’t rub and wait a few hours…I just rub and toss on the smoker..it works for me
I too take the meat out the fridge, then unwrap and put onto the cooker immediately and then add more rub before I close the lid.

wittdog said:
Wolfe Rub Bold is very good on Brisket ;)
Now there's a man with good taste! :shock: :LOL: Thanks Dave!

I have used Tx BBQ Rub for the last few cooks. I do sprnkle on some Wolfe Rub after the Tx BBQ rub has turned to liquid. Sugar based rubs tend to liquify pretty fast.

While I was in Tx for Christmas, I smoked one and used a very simple salt based rub. I didn't let it sit on the brisket either. I didn't coat it very heavy because of the salt / pepper content.

Even after this I noticed a little pooling of juice. Nothing like the previous brisket but some still.

This narrows it down to INJECTION.

I also think that all my worrying that turning the brisket to fat up on a wsm bight burn it is for not.

surfinsapo said:
Try marinating a brisket over night in some " Bock & Brown Sugar"... Then a very thin coat of rub.. I think you'll love the results Cliff.... :D

Will do SS. I used the garlic and herb version on some chicken and steak. Very good stuff.

Looks like way too much rub. Also, foiling (whichI do) will definitely soften the rub.

Try throwing the brisket on a hot grill to firm up the rub before slicing.

Al

Larry Wolfe said:
Cliff,
The main problem is your rub.............IT'S NOT WOLFE RUB! :LOL:

For some reason your rub is not caramelizing, or even melting for that matter. That doesn't make since......Are you adding rub when you foil?

I do not add anything else to the brisket.

What ever bark is there when it goes in to the foil always softens up to a rakeable consistency after I take it out of the foil.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom