Rub Grind

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
I have been mixing some of the rub blends in the bbq books I have. Some of the books recommend running kosher salt and turbinado thru a mill for a bit.

I have done this and basicly turned the sugar and salt into powder.

I think I am going to try one without grinding the salt or sugar at all.

Anyone have a do or don't experience to share ?

I'm not covinced that leaving these two ingredients in raw form will cause problems like "The sugar will burn easier because it is to coarse" or "The salt will be to strong in one spot because it is to coarse" but I have not tried it either.

Seems like Wolfe Rub is a bit coarse and I have not had any problems with it.

Any thoughts on the subject ?

Cliff,

The sugar won't burn until it reaches 375*, hopefully we're not Q'ing at that temp.

When I make a rub I leave the Kosher Salt and the Turbinado in it's original form. If you arre familiar with any of the Dizzy Pig Rubs they are quite coarse compared to some others I have seen.

It won't hurt your rub, IMHO.

Cliff, I do both. It depends on what I am doing and what I want. I even to the same rubs different from time to time to see the difference in flavor with a different grind of the whole rub. Or a different grind on key components.

Just play with it and see what you like.

If you are using a coffee mill, a couple 1 second bursts are enough to do it unless you want powder.

Finney said:
Cliff, I do both. It depends on what I am doing and what I want. I even to the same rubs different from time to time to see the difference in flavor with a different grind of the whole rub. Or a different grind on key components.

Just play with it and see what you like.

If you are using a coffee mill, a couple 1 second bursts are enough to do it unless you want powder.

Ditto on what Finney said. A couple pulses won't turn it to powder. Leaving it whole will not hurt either.

I started out using a grinder but now I am not using it. I didnt like the powder either. I like my rubs a little on the course side.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom