Rub for pre-brined ribs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

The package says 10% solution of water, salt and sodium phosphate.
Anyone have a basic rub that won't be too salty?
The store I go to usually doesnt have them in a solution.

Thanks.

wdroller said:
I suggest you do a Google search for a rib rub that you think you would like. Just omit the salt that the recipe may include. Or, just use the rub recipe you have been using, omitting the salt. Finally, I suggest that you do not use a purchased rub--they are loaded with salt.

Yep, what WD said!

Might want to try this one. I used it a few times on pumped ribs and didn't end up with bacon on a stick.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Dry Rub #1

none

1 tablespoon paprika; Hungarian
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon sage
1/2 teaspoon mustard
1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder

Mix all ingredients well and reserve in refrigerator, covered tightly. Will keep for up to 2 weeks. MC Formatted by Kurt Lucas Recipe from by RockMc on Mar 30, 1998,

D.Harris said:
If meat is enchanced, do the ingredients have to be listed on the packaging from the store or supplier? We bought 2 cases from Cost'mo and I inquired to the clerk as to whether the meat was enhanced, he didn't have a clue as to what I was talking about. These were cases of Smithfield baby backs. Suppliers in my area mostly have IBP, Excel, Smithfield and Hormel. We saw nothing on the boxes or cryovac packaging as to whether they were enhanced or not. Are there certain brands to stay away from in order to avoid enhancement?

If the ribs have anything other than ribs in the package (ie. broth solution), YES they must include the ingredients and the percentage of the solution they are enhanced with. Another way to tell if they are enhances is by the nutrion facts. Most fresh meats besides chicken and turkeys do not have the nutritional information listed. However, all enhanced meat does. This doesn't mean if the meat has a nutritional label on it that it's enhanced. However, read the sodium content on the nutitional facts label. Fresh meats are all below 100mgs of sodium, all enhanced meats sodium content will be around 300mgs of sodium. Hope this helps.

Anything way to tell if meat is enhanced is if the label says "Self Basting".

Headcountry all purpose works great on pumped ribs and brined chicken. Aint as salty as most salt base rubs..yet aint pure sugar like some others. Guess he uses a lot of paprika and know it has a lot of dry bell peppa in there. Great flavor profile in my book.

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom