Rub conversions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Like Bill I also use Turbinato and I use Brownulated sugar, dried crystallized brown sugar. If I remember from Paul Kirks cooking class what he didn't like about brown sugar was the moisture content.

Rich Decker

Rich Decker said:
Like Bill I also use Turbinato and I use Brownulated sugar, dried crystallized brown sugar. If I remember from Paul Kirks cooking class what he didn't like about brown sugar was the moisture content.

Rich Decker
If that's what he doesn't like about brown sugar... he should just dry it in the oven.

Bob T said:
I was looking at my P. Kirk book, and he said never to use brown sugar of any type. (I don't agree with that, but he has books out, and I'm asking the questions still lol) All of the rubs in the book are for white granulated sugar. Is there a conversion of white to brown sugar I can use to get it close?
1 cup white is equal to what in brown sugar? Come on Kevin, I know you can help me here! =D>
I love Texas rub, but I want to save the $$ and get one of my own I like.

Quoting directly from Mr. Kirk's "Championship Barbecue Sauce" book, page #58,59; "If you want to use brown sugar you can dry it by placing it on a cookie sheet, spreading it out evenly as possible and letting it air dry..."

It's not that he says "never" he only warns folks of the moisture content and gives his opionion that he prefers cane sugar.

Not yelling at you Bob, just trying to keep things accurate.

When I use to use it, it wasn't that big of a deal. Now I've gone to either using turbinado or brownulated sugar.

You want to see moist sugar, you should taste that Muscavdo Sugar that Woodman has. What a great flavor, but really moist and clumpy. L'il on the pricey side though.

Turbinado for my home made rubs. It is pricier that white or brown. Muscovado is too moist to use in a rub, unless you use what you make immediately. Where muscovado shines, is as a sweet finishing glaze on ribs. When you foil, sprinkle liberally with muscovado. MMMMMMMMMM it is $ 6.00/lb via mail order.

ps. Bill Cannon actually uses cane syrup in his Texas BBQ Rub. It's right on the ingredient list! He uses industrial blending equipment though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom