Ribs with Suckle Busters Hog Waller rub

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokey Lew

Head Chef
Started some ribs this morning using Suckle Busters Hog Waller rub. I prepared the ribs last night about 10:00 P.M. by trimming off the extra flap meat, ect. and rubbing them down with some mustard and the Suckle Busters. This morning I added an extra dusting of the rub before putting them in the WSM.

Added some pecan wood and a little bit of hickory for smoke. I'm going to keep the temperature at about 240 degrees and then foil at the end for maybe a half hour with another 20 minutes or so exposed on the rack to harden up.

Question: I never know for sure if it's better to let the rub sit on the ribs overnight or maybe just a couple of hours prior to smoking. Also wonder if they should be bone up or bone down on the rack. Any advice?

More pictures to follow after they are done.

Here's the finished product. Notice the bite out of the little tag piece on the upper right part of the tray?
Yum, yum! They are very tasty.

Great looking ribs Lew. I like my ribs better when I add rub the night before and then add a little more just before they go on the smoker. I usually cook my ribs bone up. I don't have a reason why I just like cooking them that way. lol

I add the rub just before I put em on. If the rub has a lot of salt, letting it go overnight may make for ham bones. BW always says to do em bone up cuz it makes a puddle of juicy goodness. But....I just don't like the look of the grill marks on the top of the meat.

Oh yeah...and if you mount the probe clip to the underside of the grate ...you'll have more room on the top. ;)

ScottyDaQ said:
I add the rub just before I put em on. If the rub has a lot of salt, letting it go overnight may make for ham bones. BW always says to do em bone up cuz it makes a puddle of juicy goodness. But....I just don't like the look of the grill marks on the top of the meat.

Oh yeah...and if you mount the probe clip to the underside of the grate ...you'll have more room on the top. ;)
Thanks for the tip about the salt content and putting the clip under the rack. Why didn't I think of that?? :roll:

Lew, it looks like the label on your ribs says 100% Natural ... I assume that means not injected? Did you buy them at the run of the mill store or did you get them at a specialty store? I can never find reasonably priced meat that is not injected at Kroger, Meijer, Giant Eagle :(

bbquzz said:
Lew, it looks like the label on your ribs says 100% Natural ... I assume that means not injected? Did you buy them at the run of the mill store or did you get them at a specialty store? I can never find reasonably priced meat that is not injected at Kroger, Meijer, Giant Eagle :(

Hi Buzz, I got the ribs at Restaurant Depot. They are a wholesale restaurant supply chain. I got them for $1.64 lb. and there were two racks of ribs in the pack. I think the total weight was about 9 lbs. I think the product actually comes from your neck of the woods. Could be Nebraska though. I will have to look on the package the next time I pick some up.

Restaurant Depot is wholesale and you have to have a business license or sales tax license to get in. I have both although I'm not in the restaurant industry. Based on the packaging, there isn't anything added to the product. Here's a link to their website.

http://www.restaurantdepot.com/

Great looking ribs Lew! Color looks real nice. I just tried the Suckle Busters Hog Waller rub this weekend on spare ribs as well. I thought it tasted real good. I'm going to have to get some more! I'll be posting pics tonight hopefully. Thanks for sharing.

Smokey Lew said:
ScottyDaQ said:

Thanks for the tip about the salt content and putting the clip under the rack. Why didn't I think of that?? :roll:

Great looken ribs Lew. I cook mine bone side down to protect the meat. That's just me though. Be careful when putting the probe on the underside. If grease starts to drip and cake on your probe your temps will be inaccurate. Just from my experience. ScottyDaQ is is 100% correct. Ir you rub way in advance the salt in the rub will brine your ribs and give a real hammy flavor :cry:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom