RIBS RIBS RIBS!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ender1

Assistant Cook
Ok, now that I have pulled pork and brisket under my belt, I am moving on to the next pinnacle of BBQ, baby back pork ribs.

I have been in love with the Rendezvous ever since I went there, so I am going to want to charcoal smoke ribs.

Going to be using my smoker with a healthy mound of charcoal to get a nice heat going, preferably over 250 degrees.

Will be using the following for the rub:

Ingredients
8 tablespoons paprika
4 tablespoons powdered garlic
4 tablespoons mild chili powder
3 tablespoons ground black pepper
3 tablespoons kosher salt
4 teaspoons whole yellow mustard seed
1 tablespoon crushed celery seed
1 tablespoon whole celery seed
1 tablespoon dried crushed oregano
1 tablespoon dried crushed thyme
1 tablespoon whole allspice seeds
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 tablespoon whole coriander seed
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon Ac'cent * (msg)

And the following for mop:

Yield. Makes 1 cup, enough mop for about 2 slabs of baby back ribs.
Preparation time. 5 minutes

6 tablespoons of Rendezvous Seasoning (click for recipe)
1/2 cup distilled vinegar
1/2 cup water
4 tablespoons ketchup or tomato based barbecue sauce such as Kansas City Classic or a storebought sauce. Will probably use the Rendezvous' own bbq sauce as I still have some.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Unsure exactly how fast I am going to cook these, as of yet.

Spent a month in Memphis one day. Sound like you got it. They do cook direct over charcoal briquettes. Real low and slow though.

Hard for me to understand how you cook low and slow directly over hot briquettes. Was going to aim for a 250+ temp at indirect heat.

re: the 3 2 1 method.. When i do ribs in the wsm, it usually takes 5 to 6 hours anyway. What advantage is this method ?

john pen said:
re: the 3 2 1 method.. When i do ribs in the wsm, it usually takes 5 to 6 hours anyway. What advantage is this method ?
I've never done them your way. Do they come out moist your way :?:
Are they as "falling off the bone" as you like :?:
Do you mop :?:
Ender asked a question and I answered :!:
This is what works for me :idea:
Did you explain your method to him :?:
Are you getting cranky because your suppose to start going to the gym today and eating better? :LOL:

Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="john pen":3kq8pt7z]re: the 3 2 1 method.. When i do ribs in the wsm, it usually takes 5 to 6 hours anyway. What advantage is this method ?
Are you getting cranky because your suppose to start going to the gym today and eating better? :LOL:[/quote:3kq8pt7z]
Wow, we really need to get you back to work... Dial it down a bit there buddy !

john pen said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":2sqpom81][quote="john pen":2sqpom81]re: the 3 2 1 method.. When i do ribs in the wsm, it usually takes 5 to 6 hours anyway. What advantage is this method ?
Are you getting cranky because your suppose to start going to the gym today and eating better? :LOL:[/quote:2sqpom81]
Wow, we really need to get you back to work... Dial it down a bit there buddy ![/quote:2sqpom81]

That is correct! :LOL:

How was the gym today? :shock:

Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="john pen":29knvcmo][quote="Nick Prochilo":29knvcmo][quote="john pen":29knvcmo]re: the 3 2 1 method.. When i do ribs in the wsm, it usually takes 5 to 6 hours anyway. What advantage is this method ?
Are you getting cranky because your suppose to start going to the gym today and eating better? :LOL:[/quote:29knvcmo]
Wow, we really need to get you back to work... Dial it down a bit there buddy ![/quote:29knvcmo]

That is correct! :LOL:

How was the gym today? :shock:[/quote:29knvcmo]
I hate it ! But at least 1 made one days in a row !

I think ribs are one of the hardest to get "right"(right for your family anyway). Practice, practice, practice. I found that it harder to use foil, or I'd only use it for maybe 30-45min max. When you learn the look, pull back, and the bend/"feel", you'll get them right every time. No way to explain it, you just have to learn on your own, imo.

As far as rub, check out Big Rons Hint of Houston. I'm not crazy about buy'n rubs, but that is one I use on ribs and pulled pork. I may add a bit of something at times, but as a base it is good, low on salt too.

BTW, I'm talk'n spares. Not a fan of BB's, we like the cheap azz spares. :D

Back
Top Bottom