Ribs on WSM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris1237

Sous Chef
I decided to fire up the WSM for a few racks of ribs I plan on doing today with the hope of not having to babysit the gator and to save some fuel. Since it has been a long time since I have cooked on the WSM and since I have not cooked on it alot I have a few questions.
1. I plan on using sand in the water pan. So to do this I am guessing all I have to do is fill the pan with sand and cover with foil right?
2. I also plan on using the minion method but are there any other tricks you guys could offer.

Here a few pics of the ribs
p1010189ux3.jpg
[/url]
[/img]

p1010191mq0.jpg
[/url]
[/img]

Thanks Ill be starting the WSM soon,

Chris

Chris, you got the high wind at your house? I have a rack of ribs and chicken on the MC. Every time I go out to check on things my crap has blown all over the yard.

Rag said:
Chris, you got the high wind at your house? I have a rack of ribs and chicken on the MC. Every time I go out to check on things my crap has blown all over the yard.
I had some wind too and some rain. The wind was causing some temp problems with the smoker. It would go from hot to cold in a matter of a few min. My neighbor has some flowering tree thing and when the wind would blow crap from it would come all in my yard. So I had to keep that from getting on my ribs.

Here is the finished product. The good but they could have been on there a little longer.They were not as dark as the picture shows them to be.
p1010192sl9.jpg
[/url]
[/img]

Stogie said:
Hey cgris!

Other tricks.......I always put my ribs on right out of the fridge. I do this because it is much easier to control a WSM from LOWER temps to HIGHER temps rather than trying to DECREASE the temp. I have seen too many people allow the WSM to get to temp first and then put the ribs on in hopes that it will cool. Most times it will, but that is not a guarantee. So, instead, I like a nice steady climb which allows me to monitor the temp for the first hour and as it gets to 225-230º I am prepared to start adjusting the vents. This is also the reason my ribs take 6 hours to cook.

Good advice Stogie!

I don't even light the coals until the cold meat is on and the lid is on. Then I light a small amount in the center with a small hose torch! Leave all of the vents 100% open until the dome temp hits 200* then shut all three bottom vent's 75%. The temps will initially drop a few degrees, but will slowly creep up to the 245-260* range and stay there until you run out of coal!

Thanks for the complements guys!
And thanks for the advice Larry and Stogie. I am still learning how to use the WSM and advice from people who have a great deal of experience with them is appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom