Ribs in the heat...may not need charcoal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
Despite the heat, I've got a chance to practice ribs today.
Sick of chicken....giving that a break.

Rubbed up and ready to go...

Yummie!

Here's a question for the group. When you are cooking spares at home, do you trim them the way I'm being taught for competition?

the folks at home seem to like the trimmed ones better, I guess just because of presentation. I feel like I'm wasting a lot when I trim. I still season and cook the extra then chop it up for the beans. I think I remember others saying they do that as well.

-Chiles

If I am doing spares I have the butcher trim them to St. Louis style...and do the trimmings for me to eat during the cook. :D

I'm trimmed those some...but the brisket bone was
pretty big, so I left it on....got a couple of little
bones sticking out that I'm exactly sure are supposed
to be there! I'll show you them later.

I don't cook a lot of ribs, but if I'm cooking for someone
I trim them....I always peel em though.

Spares are easy enough to trim, unless the butcher is happy to trim them for you for free. I always peel the membrane and trim em up

Usually, I remove the brisket bone, trim the skirt back but not completely off, leave the tips on, but split the tips' horizontal cartilage. I learned this trim, which is very common, at a barbecue restaurant on San Pablo Blvd., in Emeryville in the early seventies, "Willie Walker's". Sometimes, if I want the tips for lunch, I'll take them too -- almost all the way down to St. Louis, but leave the small rib and meat on the small-end.

Because I like the chewy bits at the end, the only reason I'd take it all the way down to a full St. Louis or KC trim is if it was what I was advertising or was specifically requested by a customer. As I haven't been commercial since Moses got his first pair of long pants, it's not something I worry about.

Rich

i usually trim them down to a st. louis style....they fit a lot better on the wsm and seem to cook a little more even....i usually freeze all the xtra pieces and cook them for my labor day cookout...works out well, i always end up with a ton of riblets, and i've already absorbed the cost of the meat throughout the summer, plus i can experiment with different sauces and rubs if i want also....

Rob

well the trimmings are done...I coated them with Bruce B's rub,
which was very flavorful but a little salty for me....still...dang good
rub, way better than I thought it was gonna be.

Anyway, those trimmings are my favorite part of doing spares.

boar_d_laze said:
Usually, I remove the brisket bone, trim the skirt back but not completely off, leave the tips on, but split the tips' horizontal cartilage. I learned this trim, which is very common, at a barbecue restaurant on San Pablo Blvd., in Emeryville in the early seventies, "Willie Walker's". Sometimes, if I want the tips for lunch, I'll take them too -- almost all the way down to St. Louis, but leave the small rib and meat on the small-end.

Because I like the chewy bits at the end, the only reason I'd take it all the way down to a full St. Louis or KC trim is if it was what I was advertising or was specifically requested by a customer. As I haven't been commercial since Moses got his first pair of long pants, it's not something I worry about.

Rich

Maybe the next time you do this can you post pics??

I would really like to see this.

Diva -- sure thing. It may be awhile though, we cooked a mess of ribs on the Fourth and still have a slab in the freezer.

Rich

Ribs are looking good. You sure that is not an unseasoned chicken part up at the top of the pic.

I don't trim ribs, I can never figure out when the trimmings are done and wind up wasting them. :shock:

I do remove the membrane. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom