Ribs and a Butt - Labor Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gomer1

Senior Cook
Just getting her started up.

Trying 3 different rib rubs, I made a apple rub (this was a pain better taste good), a sweeter rub, and a regular rub. On the regular rub I am going to put my BBQ sauce I made today (my own recipe so I am not expecting much) a Orange Honey flavor.

No I found it online before here you go:

6 Tbsp Ground Dried apple
3 Tbsp Brown Sugar
3 Tbsp Turbinado Sugar
3 Tbsp Coarse Salt
1 tsp Sweet Paprika (Hungarian)
1 tsp Granulated Garlic
1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper

Heres how I got dried apple.. it wasn't easy.

Julienne (spelling?) slicer to cut the apples *really* thin after I peeled them. Then I put them in the oven as low as they can go on a sheet (took more then 1 time to get enough) for like an hour or so, then I took them out if they didn't get dry enough that they snapped when i tried to break them then I put them back in on a paper towel (I used oil the first time and this seemed to get them a little wet and not help much..) sometimes it took a few goes in the oven still need to work that part out. Then I used a regular spice grinder to get it ground up.

I will let you know how it works out tomorrow. I am more excited for my sauce I created I think it will be edible on the first try! hehe

I put a lot of effort into making sauces. We had a sauce contest a while back and I spent a lot of money buying supplies and spent lots of time reading sauce recipes.

No Joke, I sorted thru well over 500 pages of recipes, narrowed it down to 10 pages after a couple of weeks. started cooking when I narrowed it down to 5.

I made batch after batch and they all tasted like kicked up spagetti sauce to me. I decided that it aint worth the effort for me. Now I just work with store bought.

Thats pretty funny, I am not going for some super secret great recipe but just some original flavor.

Sounds like you'll be eating good today...
I wonder if the dried apples you get in the store would work for that rub?

My Mavrick was reading 187 (I thought it was a little early for 187 but it was ok). So a little later it is 185? So I go out pull the probe out and stick it back in and it is 171, now it says 170.. What to do?

Thanks.

You will get different reading all over the butt...just hang tight...as long as you are not in a fat pocket you will be fine!

Also, kinda last minute but, if I am going to add some ribs onto the WSM they should go on the bottom shelf im assuming? And what about putting a couple chunks of wood on is that going to really effect my butt negatively?

Thanks guys

Yeah the fat will be hotter, and yeah, you don't wanna put raw meat over something that's nearly done.

If you're going to move it to the bottom shelf, be very careful with it....it may fall apart. Do you have a super huge spatula? I'd wrap the top in foil to secure it, and slid the spatula under it real quick.

I think you'd be better off waiting to put on the ribs. The extra smoke won't hurt the butt, ...but :D I'd be nervous about moving so late into the cook.

The Butt is on the top shelf already so good planning ahead on my part! I just took the top rack off quick and put my ribs on and it is good to go now.

Thanks a bunch!

Back
Top Bottom