Rib Help, please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick Prochilo

Chef Extraordinaire
When you wrap in foil, add a little apple juice then wrap them. Also, try to keep them a little longer in the foil, maybe 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours.

I have made tons of Baby backs with conistant results by smoking on the WSM for 4 hours at 225° then double wrap in foil and, like Nick says, I add some apple juice( 'bout 1/3 cup) back onto the WSM for 45 mins. Then out of the foil, glaze with some sauce mixed 50:50 with some apple juice concentrate and back on the WSM for 30 mins. That's what works for me anyway.

Al

I am not telling you any hints kimmal. I would like to stay ahead of you for the comps.

LOL But I will say as I have said before you make awesome chicken thighs. I still can't get mine any where near as good as yours.

I do mine for 3 1/4 hrs in the smoke, then 1 1/4 hrs in the foil and then back on the WSM, open the vents, wait 10 minutes and then glaze with sauce and wait another 10-12 minutes. Never had any complaints.

If the ribs are smaller than 2lb per rack I go a little less time in the foil...I try to keep my temps in the 230-240 range! ;)

I saw Steve Raicheln put brown sugar, butter and some apple cider on the ribs before he wrapped them in foil...might give that a shot next time! 8) ...btw, me and Steve are on a first name basis! 8) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Ok..do it like this. 250 bone side up and dont even look at em for 4 hrs. At the end of that time check em at thirty min intervals till you can reach in with your hands (wearing hot water dish washer gloves) and see if yoiu can tear the meat slighty in the middle of the rack. At that point wrap em in foil and throw em in the hot box for a couple of hours..1 hr. minimum...open the lid and let em cool down slowly over a period of several hours works great if you got that much time to spend. If you want to glaze drag em back out abd turn bone side down and hit em "ONCE" with whutever is your glaze concoction. That should work.

bigwheel

I have often used the "Minion Method" (check spelling) or the 3-2-1 cooking method; 3 hours on the smoker, unwrapped, follwed by 2 hours wrapped in foil then back unwrapped for 1 hour.

It might be work for you too.

Gator

I do baby backs between 225 and 235 and the longest they have ever taken is 4 1/2 hours and that's without foil.

Personally don't don't do baby backs. Too much chance for diaster. St Louis or full spares. Sorry, not much help with the topic.

Bruce B said:
I do baby backs between 225 and 235 and the longest they have ever taken is 4 1/2 hours and that's without foil.

Amen brother!

If BB's take 6 hours there's something wrong.

I use the "Wolfe Method", 2.5 hr's in the smoke, 45min-1 hour in the foil (no liquid), 30-45 minutes back on the cooker with the heat cranked to sauce and firm up.

I do mine the same as Larry Wolfe and Burnt Food Dude. I ccok spares 6 to 7 hours or so...but BB usually are done in the 4 hour range in my neck of the jungle.

Burnt Food Dude said:
gator said:
I have often used the "Minion Method" (check spelling) or the 3-2-1 cooking method; 3 hours on the smoker, unwrapped, follwed by 2 hours wrapped in foil then back unwrapped for 1 hour.

It might be work for you too.

Gator

Jim can correct me but I believe that the "Minion Method" is just a way of starting and getting a long burn from your charcoal. I use a WSM and its a great way for a long consistant burn.

That's correct!

The 3-2-1 method is for spare ribs. Spares take a longer time because (IMO) they have more meat and bigger bones. Could it be that you guys that are cooking a longer time are actually cooking spares and not baby back / loin back ribs. Some stores sell trimmed spares (St Louis cut) and they could look like meaty BBs.

That's a good point BFD! The average consumer more than likely couldn't tell the difference between a rack of Loin Back Ribs (aka Baby Backs) or a St Louis cut rack of spare ribs. One very easy way to tell LB's from Spares other than just the size and weight is the LB's have a "curve" to them and the Spares lay flat.

I don't usually do spares but when I do I get the untrimmed spare. Yes they are a bit more work but you have what I call "nibblers". I cut the tips into smaller pieces and prepare them as the ribs. I put them in the smoker when I cook the ribs. The pieces are done in half the time (usually) and make excellent snacks while waiting for the ribs to get done. Then again you could use them as others have suggested in beans, ABTs, (see my post in the country ribs thread) etc.

AMEN!! The trimmings make great "riblets" to munch on during the cook or to vacuum seal and reheat later and serve as hors dourves.
EDIT: Then again if you know a butcher he could cut you meatier BBs and they could take a little longer.

Back
Top Bottom