Reverse Sear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, the application of reverse sear is for an application of direct heat which finishes the steak. Any steak I would prepare would be through this method. There are only 2 ways you would be making a steak with any sort of variation, either forward or reverse sear. Otherwise it's just a slow broil which is like a bake, or you kick the snot out of it at high temp, which is really strange, unless you like your steak blue. Reverse sear is called either Chicago, or Pittsburgh, with Chicago being as close to medium in the middle, and Pittsburgh being blue. Both usually apply to a rounder cut, often referred to as a Baseball. So I get The Cub, which is the Chicago Baseball, ironically always a winner. And, with that cut, the final sear is induced with garlic butter which flares up and just ... makes heaven.

Big pieces of meat are BBQd. That slow rise in temp denatures proteins, allows the heat to penetrate pretty much evenly, on a slow gradient which renders fat, and eventually hits protein at the right temperature (the plateau for a lot of lipids as well). It also takes the enzymes (proteolytic proteases) through their profile of activity, and eventually denatures them as well. But the connective tissue gets a double shot through both these processes.

Tougher cuts of meat, regardless of size, get braising. High temperature to flavour the meat, then a very moist poaching for a long time, which pretty much renders through temperature.

Captain Morgan said:
that makes sense, so I'm guessing you guys are going to reccomend this method
only for lean cuts of meat, which means grilling only, correct?

It will work any any cut marbled or lean, but in my opinion is more beneficial to leaner cuts and/or the thickness of the cut. When I do top round steaks (London Broil) I always do a RS. If I'm doing a ribeye, Porterhouse, NY strip or T-bone, I'll let it sit out at room temp for 1-2 hours depending on the thickness, season and then just do a direct sear for 4-5 minutes per side.

Ooh. Top Round. I just sliced up a huge one and am marinading it for jerky. I have a kick ass dehydrator and I should have about 7 pounds of jerky in the next couple of days.

To add to this thread, another reason you hang meat is to put shear force on the tissues. Coupled with increased room temp (rather than fridge temp) this helps relax the meat, as it pulls apart.

It can be done both ways apparently. No special need for any tissue attention, so go for the reverse sear. Or, cut it in half and see what you think between forward and reverse.

Document your findings, including your experience of control, etc. Also describe your grill preparation, hardware, etc.

Way to scientific here. Just cook the damn thuing they way you like to! Gary, I like the way yours sounds and I'll be giving it a try.

Nick Prochilo said:
Way to scientific here. Just cook the damn thuing they way you like to! Gary, I like the way yours sounds and I'll be giving it a try.

Look Q-tip Ray, nobody said there was anything wrong with the way Gary is cooking it! Just that there was no issue with the danger zone.

Geez... I make it easy for the dude to do reeeeeeeee verrrrrrse seeeeeeeeeeere and ya'll turn it into some Alton Brown science lesson... Just Kill it an Grill it an eat it up

I will say... As far as reverse sear goes... that added smokey flavor you get into your steaks from the Roasting stage makes it all worth while.

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":3v009m07]Way to scientific here. Just cook the damn thuing they way you like to! Gary, I like the way yours sounds and I'll be giving it a try.

Look Q-tip Ray, nobody said there was anything wrong with the way Gary is cooking it! Just that there was no issue with the danger zone.[/quote:3v009m07]
Listen pencildick, I wasn't defending him I was just saying this conversation is going to become a science class real soon and that's not what BBQing or grilling is about! :mrgreen:

I'm sorry what were we descussing? I keep getting stuck on Nick's Avatar.

Oh, reverse sear, save you time and just get some of this.

Attachments

• wagyu_beef_ribeye_roast_1.jpg
    wagyu_beef_ribeye_roast_1.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 210
Well guys, I'm blown away at the response and how this turned into a scientific lesson. So much so, that I'm almost scared to attempt the reverse sear :shock: > Seriously, thanks for all the input and I plan on trying this method very soon, after I pick up a few bleakers and bunson burners :LOL:

californiagrillin said:
Well guys, I'm blown away at the response and how this turned into a scientific lesson. So much so, that I'm almost scared to attempt the reverse sear :shock: > Seriously, thanks for all the input and I plan on trying this method very soon, after I pick up a few bleakers and bunson burners :LOL:

Oh, don't worry about it. It's easy... These boobs can screw up a wet dream with all their "science". Don't pay any attention to them. Just keep it simple. I believe that once you do it and experience the additional flavor that you get out of the Reverse sear experience, you won't do steaks and chops any other way.

Gary in VA said:
californiagrillin said:

Oh, don't worry about it. It's easy... These boobs can screw up a wet dream with all their "science". Don't pay any attention to them. Just keep it simple. I believe that once you do it and experience the additional flavor that you get out of the Reverse sear experience, you won't do steaks and chops any other way.

Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":2wu1u3b1][quote="Nick Prochilo":2wu1u3b1]Way to scientific here. Just cook the damn thuing they way you like to! Gary, I like the way yours sounds and I'll be giving it a try.

Look Q-tip Ray, nobody said there was anything wrong with the way Gary is cooking it! Just that there was no issue with the danger zone.[/quote:2wu1u3b1]
Listen pencildick, I wasn't defending him I was just saying this conversation is going to become a science class real soon and that's not what BBQing or grilling is about! :mrgreen:[/quote:2wu1u3b1]

Nick the science part is actually how BBQ 'happens'.......even though I'm not interested in the actual science part.... but it's nice to understand why and how the Reverse sear creates a superior product versus a traditional sear, etc.

Excuse me? Did you just call me a boob? Well that was not called for. And your simplicity really shows.

Grilling and BBQ is indeed nothing but science. Science is very real. If you ever want to learn about the world, take a science class, as it will get you very far. Insulting it will just how ignorant you can be. And you can go wet dream on your next steak, Gary.

And here I thought this forum was full of people who liked their hobby.

Back
Top Bottom