Restaurant Depot Trip - Practice Cook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kloset BBQR

Executive Chef
Used my free membership in Restaurant Depot today for the first time. Going to do a practice cook tomorrow. Chicken, Ribs, Brisket, and Ribs. I was very pleased with the briskets they had on hand. I got a 13 lb'er, passed on a 15 lb'er all choice whole packers. Also a very nice selection of flats on hand. Whole packers were $1.79 a lb. Very reasonable compared to what I've been paying. They also had a great selection of ribs both spares and baby backs. Spares were also available in St. Louis cut 3 racks to a pack. I'm looking forward to cooking them tomorrow.

Will post pics then.

Dallas,

I have bought the St. Louis trimmed spares from our RD and while a little pricey they are trimmed real well and look perfect. They also came out real well after the cook.

Did you get the Superior Angus Brisket they sell or just the regular choice?

Bruce B said:
Dallas,

I have bought the St. Louis trimmed spares from our RD and while a little pricey they are trimmed real well and look perfect. They also came out real well after the cook.

Did you get the Superior Angus Brisket they sell or just the regular choice?

I got the regular choice Bruce and yes the St. Louis cut look very nice. I rationalized the price difference by the amount of trimmings that I don't use and almost always throw away.

Thanks for the heads up on the Superior Angus Brisket. I'm assuming that's a grade above choice but not quite Prime. Sounds like CAB. I'll be on the lookout for it at my next trip.

I just finished trimming the brisket and injecting it. It looks real nice. Lots of good marbelling.

I fired up the pit at 6 am this morning. I've got the brisket rubbed down. Waiting for the pit temps to stabilize. I'll be cooking 1 13 lb whole brisket, 1 8 lb pork butt, 3 racks of St. Louis trimmed spares, and about 16 chicken thighs.

Here are a few pics, more to follow:

For the record, while the pit that DD has is very nice, if you were trying to warm yourself by the insulated fire box on his rig, I think you would.....I KNOW you would freeze. HA!!!

Good cooking Dallas.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom