Renowned Mr. Brown & Mr. Wolfe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Brown on the left and Wolfe on the right....just in time for the Mr. Jessica Simpson Fashion Show.

Ok I'm getting the pitcher here. Haven't done many butts on R2D2's but have done a boat load of split chickens on em. Notice with chickens the more space you have between the halves the better they seem to cook. Meaning two halves on top and two halves on the bottom seem to work a bunch better than trying to cook 3 or 4 halves on the top. I attribute this to the proposition that once the top grate is blocked or mostly blocked it concentrates most of the heat on the bottom of the goods and doesnt allow much heat to circulate through the system..be reflected down from the dome lid etc. Guess two side by side butts dont block off as much of the grate as 3 or 4 chicken halves laid flat cuz the boy obviously come out with some purty nice looking butts:)

bigwheel

Griff said:
If they fit side by side, I do it that way since they cook at the same rate (the bottom shelf is a little cooler) and are easier to access for bone wiggling or thermometer sticking.

bigwheel said:
Ok I'm getting the pitcher here. Haven't done many butts on R2D2's but have done a boat load of split chickens on em. Notice with chickens the more space you have between the halves the better they seem to cook. Meaning two halves on top and two halves on the bottom seem to work a bunch better than trying to cook 3 or 4 halves on the top. I attribute this to the proposition that once the top grate is blocked or mostly blocked it concentrates most of the heat on the bottom of the goods and doesnt allow much heat to circulate through the system..be reflected down from the dome lid etc. Guess two side by side butts dont block off as much of the grate as 3 or 4 chicken halves laid flat cuz the boy obviously come out with some purty nice looking butts:)

bigwheel

Griff said:
If they fit side by side, I do it that way since they cook at the same rate (the bottom shelf is a little cooler) and are easier to access for bone wiggling or thermometer sticking.

Jeff, I know from your posts you are referring to cookin on "R2D2" and that means a Brinkmann or Char Broil in your case. THEY are not the same thing as a WSM by far. That's comparing apples and oranges.

In any case for short cooks cooking on both top and bottom grates may cause a problem if the temps don't have time to equal out. However during long cooks, you are right you could cook one butt on the top and one on the bottom. But, there's no advantage or disadbantage on long cooks such as a butt cook. If there was a disadvantage it would be as stated before that you have two grates to clean versus one.

BTW, Helen how did the butts turn out??

Helen, the Mr. Brown looked great, however the
other one looked a little grainy....perhaps grinding
the rub into a powder would help.

Captain Morgan said:
Helen, the Mr. Brown looked great, however the

Bubba is that you typing for Cappy? :LOL:

In all seriousness, what pic are you looking at Jim? I don't see anything that looks grainy?

Nick Prochilo said:
Damn Larry sure is sensative today! :LOL: :shock: :oops: :twisted:
But he's happier now -- the Cowboys lost.

--John
(Yeah, that means the Giants won, but that's okay -- Dallas is out. Did you see the expression on Jerry Jones' face? :LOL: )

Unity said:
Nick Prochilo said:
Damn Larry sure is sensative today! :LOL: :shock: :oops: :twisted:
But he's happier now -- the Cowboys lost.

--John
(Yeah, that means the Giants won, but that's okay -- Dallas is out. Did you see the expression on Jerry Jones' face? :lol: )

That would make one of the best priceless commercials ever! Lets go Giants!

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Captain Morgan":27dppros]Helen, the Mr. Brown looked great, however the

Bubba is that you typing for Cappy? :LOL:

In all seriousness, what pic are you looking at Jim? I don't see anything that looks grainy?[/quote:27dppros]

Now that was pretty funny for those in the know...

OK...meat was excellent! I made up a few bags for two different people to try. I labeled the bags Brown and Wolfe. My friend reported back that she liked the Wolfe one better and that the "brown sugar one - wasn't so good." I'll report back on my coworker later this week. I don't think either had ever had pulled pork.

Bigwheel: WSM is not expensive. I bought mine for $168 total, you just need to know how to work the system. Worth every penny.

WOO WOO go Chargers and Giants!!!!

Well purty well work the same system on my big pit too...aka cooking with charcoal and chunks in the upright. It just bigger and rectangular but same general principle as using a WSM or an an ECB. Got a fire on the bottom...water pan comes next..then the meat. Works best when the meat is spaced apart and the meat on the top rack is allowed to dribble down onto the stuff on the bottom. Now a butt or two on top of a brisket or two is the cat's meow. As long as there is room for the heat to circulate on all sides of the meat it be ok. Need a little space between the chunks of meat just like on all pits with more being better less. Great job on the butts.

bigwheel

Helen_Paradise said:
OK...meat was excellent! I made up a few bags for two different people to try. I labeled the bags Brown and Wolfe. My friend reported back that she liked the Wolfe one better and that the "brown sugar one - wasn't so good." I'll report back on my coworker later this week. I don't think either had ever had pulled pork.

Bigwheel: WSM is not expensive. I bought mine for $168 total, you just need to know how to work the system. Worth every penny.

WOO WOO go Chargers and Giants!!!!

Back
Top Bottom