Remote Thermometers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
I have an et-72 and 73 both work great for me. They are all I use. wboggs's insulation idea should really help out because when I clean them they do get somewhat wet.

KW...a lot of people here use the ET-73 because it has 2 probes. You can monitor your pit and meat at the same time.

You can also look at pit temp control devices like the BBQ GURU if you want something a little more Hi-Tech with some neat features. You can also look at the STOKER as well.

There is another maker of remote therms call NU-Temps Finney and Bruce B. have those.

Seems that the Nu-Temp gets better range but is is more expensive then the Maverick units but the Maverick has some features that the Nu-Temp doesn't.

Do some searches abut the topic and then see what you think. ;)

KW Kimerer said:
I'd like to get some opinions on remote thermometers. Any of them better than others? I recently purchased a Maverick ET-72, but I've heard and read some less than flattering reviews. Any help would be appreciated...

KW first off welcome to the board!

I've been using two ET-73's for about 4+ years now and haven't had any trouble with either and would highly recommend them. When it rains, but put the receiver in a zip loc or a tub with a lid. I've never had any problem from rain or snow on the wires. Good luck and enjoy this forum!

I guess I have one of the more extensive collections here... I started with a non-remote Polder clone, then got a one-probe Maverick, which has always worked very well. Then I got the Nu-Temp deal with three remote transmitters, and it, too, works well - it lets me monitor the pit temp, and the meat temps for two butts, all at once (which is overkill). Now I have a Stoker, and haven't used the remote thermometers since I got it. BUT, I don't have the "long range" problem that some people have posted about. I have my WSM on the deck, which is just outside of the den, so the remotes never had to transmit more than about 15' maximum, through a glass patio door. I can read the display on the Stoker without having to go outside, too. So my situation doesn't really challenge the transmitting range of the Maverick or the NuTemp. If I had none of the above, I'd probably opt for the Maverick. One meat probe, and one fire probe (that alarms if the temperature goes above or below your set range) seems to be enough capability to me.

KW Kimerer said:
SteerCrazy said:
What Larry said, ET-73 here...fixin to get myself another

Hey Steer...where do you go to get your supplies?

Amazon is out of stock so I did a Google and found THIS. If you type in "RED" in the coupon code and buy tonight before midnight you get an additional $5 off. In general the ET-73's with shipping are gonna run right at $50.

I believe the key to any of these thermometer is don't pinch the wire! They should work fine. I do wash the probes and wire and rinse but I don't baptize them.

Just my opinion.

I agree with cleglue. I was mine as soon as I'm done and I always do it myself, never leave it for someone else. I also hold it at the point where the wire and probe come together so no water can enter there.

Mango said:
I may have to move to the mainland
1 Maverick
Remote Smoker
Thermometer
ET-73 $39.88
Subtotal: $39.88
Shipping: $37.08
Tax: $0.00
5% savings: -$1.99
Total: $74.97

OR wait for amazon to have them in stock

Glad this post came up again I have read soooooo many complaints on them I have been afraid to purchase one.

Think I will do it now

$37.08 shipping?? I have a friend in Australia who bought one from Amazon, and had it shipped to me (since they wouldn't ship to Australia). I in turn sent it to him via the US Postal Service, and it was nowhere near $37. Granted, it took more than a week to get there, but still... $37? :shock:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom