Reheating pulled pork in the oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris1237

Sous Chef
I need to reheat pulled pork for a sort of gig on the 17. I plan to cook about 40lbs of pork. I was hoping to cook thurs or friday. The person I am cooking for wants it divided up into 1/5 in tin pans. So she can reheat it in the oven. Do any of you know how to reheat it in the oven.

Chris

Chris, spritz it with a little apple juice, cover with foil and heat it in a 250* oven. Open the trays every now and then to mix all around and add a bit more apple juice if it looks a little dry.

40# of raw bone in butts should yield about 18-20# of finished (approximately) pulled pork, The Food Saver is the best way to go, Package in 5-6# bags and reheat in simmering water. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND having the customer reheat it in a pan in the oven at all, They will dry it out or if you add any sauce, apple juice, exc, it WILL turn to mush. Try it and see if I'm wrong. The average schmuck has not a clue when it comes to reheating barbecue in the oven. They can also reheat Food Saver bags in the microwave, It's much safer for the product and customer, Plus it's just like it came off the pit!

Nick Prochilo said:
Chris, spritz it with a little apple juice, cover with foil and heat it in a 250* oven. Open the trays every now and then to mix all around and add a bit more apple juice if it looks a little dry.

I have to disagree Nick. What your making is pork mush.If it works for you great, I end up with pork mush. YUCK! :)

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":2ta5jtu5]Chris, spritz it with a little apple juice, cover with foil and heat it in a 250* oven. Open the trays every now and then to mix all around and add a bit more apple juice if it looks a little dry.

I have to disagree Nick. What your making is pork mush.If it works for you great, I end up with pork mush. YUCK! :)[/quote:2ta5jtu5]

All you have to do is keep an eye on it. Just keep checking it and it works fine. (at least for me.)

I have tried it in a regular oven be it gas convection, regular gas, convection electric, and regular electric, on the pit and in a gas smoker. What am I doing wrong? You would think after 10 years of playing of pulled pork I could get it right. No luck for me, What's the deal? I know your instructions are simple, ( that's no problem for me, K.I.S.S ) I just never had any success. When I do a Food Saver bag in water, it comes out great. Another mystery of barbecue? :grin: The average schmuck has not a clue when it comes to reheating barbecue in the oven.

I vac pac, put some apple juice in, freeze. On reheat, I nuke 'em in the bag. all thet juice comes back to life and makes things really really good. i actually like it better on the reheat. Not as tired and not smelling smoke for 18 hours.

Uncle Bubba said:
I vac pac, put some apple juice in, freeze. On reheat, I nuke 'em in the bag. all thet juice comes back to life and makes things really really good. i actually like it better on the reheat. Not as tired and not smelling smoke for 18 hours.
This is exactly how I do mine but I sometimes add a bit of rub in with the AJ before freezing. Bark takes a bit of a hit but I'm very happy with this method.

How long does it take to reheat in the foodsaver bag in the microwave if it is a 4lbs bag? Also do I have to cut a hole in the bag. Before I put it in the microwave.

Thanks for the advice
Chris

chris1237 said:
I need to reheat pulled pork for a sort of gig on the 17. I plan to cook about 40lbs of pork. I was hoping to cook thurs or friday. The person I am cooking for wants it divided up into 1/5 in tin pans. So she can reheat it in the oven. Do any of you know how to reheat it in the oven.
Chris

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
I have tried it in a regular oven be it gas convection, regular gas, convection electric, and regular electric, on the pit and in a gas smoker. What am I doing wrong? You would think after 10 years of playing of pulled pork I could get it right. No luck for me, What's the deal? I know your instructions are simple, ( that's no problem for me, K.I.S.S ) I just never had any success. When I do a Food Saver bag in water, it comes out great. Another mystery of barbecue? :grin: The average schmuck has not a clue when it comes to reheating barbecue in the oven.

I also use foodsavers, so no reason to jump down my throat! If you would read his post, he asks HOW TO RE- HEAT IN THE OVEN! THAT"S HOW I WOULD RE-HEAT IN THE OVEN! I'm not questioning your ability to cook, just your ability to read!

Nick Prochilo said:
chris1237 said:
Chris

[quote="Pigs On The Wing BBQ":302cya6s]I have tried it in a regular oven be it gas convection, regular gas, convection electric, and regular electric, on the pit and in a gas smoker. What am I doing wrong? You would think after 10 years of playing of pulled pork I could get it right. No luck for me, What's the deal? I know your instructions are simple, ( that's no problem for me, K.I.S.S ) I just never had any success. When I do a Food Saver bag in water, it comes out great. Another mystery of barbecue? :grin: The average schmuck has not a clue when it comes to reheating barbecue in the oven.

I also use foodsavers, so no reason to jump down my throat! If you would read his post, he asks HOW TO RE- HEAT IN THE OVEN! THAT"S HOW I WOULD RE-HEAT IN THE OVEN! I'm not questioning your ability to cook, just your ability to read![/quote:302cya6s]
Do what ya want.
Yours truly,
The Schmuck, Me. That's it, I'm out of here! :badpoke:

Chris, I keep my bags sealed in order to keep the moisture in. I've never done 4 pound bags ~ Only 1 to 2. Reheating times will depend on the microwaves power setting and it's wattage. Also, don't walk away and leave it ~ I did that once and the bag was blowing up like a ballon! If I'm in a hurry, I'll start out on full power for maybe a minute, feel it, turn it over and go again at maybe 50%. I just keep going a little at a time and feel the meat often to see how the center is doing. A 1 to 2 pound bag doesn't take me more than 3 to 5 minutes. Uncle Bubba has probably done larger sizes and can chime in. BTW, since you're doing 4 pound bags, reheating in boiling water may be an option for you.

I reheated some pulled chicken last night. Two small foodsaver bags in boiling water for less than thirty min. Came out great.

p.s. Chris, I like the responses here better than the advice given over at the other place :grin:

Thanks for the advice guys. The way it looks now it seems like the best way to reheat it in this satuation is to boil it. I plan to talk to the person some time soon to see if she wants to do it this way.

Thanks
Chris

The Joker said:
[quote="Uncle Bubba":im1rrk5s]I vac pac, put some apple juice in, freeze. On reheat, I nuke 'em in the bag. all thet juice comes back to life and makes things really really good. i actually like it better on the reheat. Not as tired and not smelling smoke for 18 hours.
This is exactly how I do mine but I sometimes add a bit of rub in with the AJ before freezing. Bark takes a bit of a hit but I'm very happy with this method.[/quote:im1rrk5s]

Mine will have already had rub added to it at that point. Grind it a little xtra long to a fine powder to get rid of the "crunchies" and wash it in with some AJ.

The Joker said:
Chris, I keep my bags sealed in order to keep the moisture in. I've never done 4 pound bags ~ Only 1 to 2. Reheating times will depend on the microwaves power setting and it's wattage. Also, don't walk away and leave it ~ I did that once and the bag was blowing up like a ballon! If I'm in a hurry, I'll start out on full power for maybe a minute, feel it, turn it over and go again at maybe 50%. I just keep going a little at a time and feel the meat often to see how the center is doing. A 1 to 2 pound bag doesn't take me more than 3 to 5 minutes. Uncle Bubba has probably done larger sizes and can chime in. BTW, since you're doing 4 pound bags, reheating in boiling water may be an option for you.

Can't help you here. My wife is VP of food storage at our house. We pac in 1 lb packages for simplicity's sake and also because i sell it in 1 lb bags. Never a question how much is there. For four of us 1 lb is usually enough for a quick dinner.

Back
Top Bottom